Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Court Rules California's Proposition 8 Violates the U.S. Constitution

Photo by Ron Tipton from 2009 March on Washington
This just in!  The California U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals has ruled that Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.  Take that Michelle Bachmann.  


It is just a matter of time before the discriminatory law D.O.M.A. will be ruled unconstitutional and then same sex marriages will be legal throughout the United States.  More important same sex marriages will be legal at the federal level which means same sex couples will no longer be treated as second class citizens who pay first class citizens taxes and will enjoy all the protections and tax benefits that heterosexual couples now take for granted.


I never thought I would see this much progress in my lifetime.  Who knows, maybe Bill and I will really get married someday just like our friends, family and neighbors.  To no longer be discriminated agains, that is a dream that may yet come true in my our lifetime. 



Bill and Ron

8 comments:

  1. Great good day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once DOMA is struck down, Fred and I won't have to worry about deportation. Hopefully we can hold out that long.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,

    DOMA will be struck down one day. It is just a matter of time. Legislating discrimination never holds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    Progress, progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anne marie in philly6:23 PM

    I am so happy to see this!

    now, what will the idiots on the supreme court do; idiots like scalia and thomas will vote NO.

    I still wanna throw virtual confetti at your wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're right Anne Marie. As long at the hate filled, homophobic dinosaurs like Scalia and Thomas are on the Supreme Court, DOMA will remain in effect. However, they will not live forever. I hope I can outlive them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not so optimistic; 'they' still have all the power and money and fear remains a good motivator. We shall see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dr.Spo,

    The battle is far from over but we are advancing. Still have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete