Saturday, February 11, 2012

Whitney Houston - A Wasted LIfe



Whitney Houston is dead at the age of 48.  She had everything; beauty, talent, riches and fame.

Like so many other talented performers before her, she blew all of her natural, God given talent and beauty on the selfish short term high of drugs.

As I type this my TV is on and I'm hearing all her celebrity friends telling what a "wonderful and caring woman" she was.  What a "wonderful mother and daughter" she was.  I disagree.  She was selfish.  If she cared about her daughter she wouldn't have killed herself by doing drugs.

Earlier I posted a blog about my all time favorite singer, Dinah Washington.  Yes, Dinah Washington also died of a drug overdose.

Another one of my favorite singers was Janis Joplin. Yep, she was a druggie too.  Same with Judy Garland, who I really didn't care all that much for even though I'm gay and I'm supposed to be one of her rabid fans.

Same with Liza Minnelli, who is still hanging on but usually drugged out.  Oh sure, when these celebrities have their binges and end up in the hospital it's always called "exhaustion."  Druggies, all of them.  Selfish, all of them to waste the talent they were lucky enough to be born with.  Selfish in that they think of themselves first before their legions of fans.

Perhaps the only good thing is that these drug addict singers is that they do leave behind their beautiful recordings.  It's just a shame that they wasted their opportunity.  An opportunity that is denied to most of us.

I'm wondering, do you think any of the remaining celebrities who are sniffing coke will wise up now and give up their drugs?

I doubt it.  The accolades will continue to pour in for Whitney until her funeral which will be attended by her celebrity enablers.  What a shame.  What a waste.

12 comments:

  1. We are supposed to say nice things when someone dies. Sadly, when I told our guests, the response was the same - 'was it an overdose'?
    Addictions ruin people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May she rest in peace, it was so saddening. she was a real lady and the world of the music lost another irreplaceable figure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie,

    I agree with you, Whitney was one of a kind. There are so few talents like hers. This is so sad. Such a waste just because of drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Spo,

    I know we're supposed to say "nice things" about people when they die. Sometimes it is helpful to say the truth. Whitney Houston wasted her life because of drugs. That is the sad fact. So many talented, "nice" people have gone this route. Maybe her self-destructive act will cause at least one other person to look at their drug habit and say "Is this worth it?" Maybe. I doubt it, but maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My thought was that she's no longer suffered from any pains of this life. Lucky her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tai,

    You have a good point!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron,

    You said it. Now I don't have to write it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ron,

    I think that Dr Spo has the kernel of truth in this. The addiction won; Ms Houston's life and her gifts lost.

    Yet, there is another side to this. Think about this when you look around your circle of friends and notice those in recovery. Look at the lives that have been reclaimed and the gifts that have flourished as a result.

    Given the nature of brain chemistry and addictions, I don't think that there are any of us who are too far from crossing the line one way or another (think of older folks addicted to pain medications). Some may be more susceptible than others to addictions and addictive behaviors for any number of reasons. I think that all any of us have are self awareness, cognizance and the ability to avoid environments that put us at risk. Unfortunately, the entertainment industry is a culture that puts people at risk. I think that the medical-industrial complex is another (apologies to the Good Dr. Spo).

    There are no easy answers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will,

    You're right, there are no easy answers. Why some like like Whitney, who had just about every God given gift one could wish would throw those gifts away in a life of drug fueled haze is beyond my understanding. It is just so sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lar,

    I know my blog post about Whitney Houston's death probably wouldn't be popular but I felt I had to say the obvious, she wasted her life because of her weakness for drugs. What a terrible waste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous12:19 PM

    and through her selfishness, her daughter followed her down the same rabbit hole. Two wasted lives

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She sure did didn't she? What a shame and a waste. One would think that money and fame would be enough.

      Delete