Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Visit To My Barber

My haircut this morning


Just got back from getting a haircut this morning.  I like my hair short.  The last time I got a haircut I wasn't paying attention when my barber put his mirror in front of my puss and asked me "How do you like it?"  I said "Okay" without even looking.  BIG MISTAKE.

When I got home and took a shower (I always take a shower after I get a haircut to get all the loose hairs off the back of my neck) that I realized he left the left side of my head with longer hair than the right side.

Some years ago (more than I care to remember) I used to have a LOT OF HAIR.  However, as the years progressed and my hairline receded (thanks Pop!), I went for the "buzz cut" look.  No more pompadour for Ron.  Remember those hairdo's of the Fifties?  Well, my hairline done went and gone and I had no choice.


Me and my longtime Philadelphia barber Nino - 1994
I don't like to fuss a lot with my hair anyway.  I prefer not to use a comb.  I like to get up in the morning with my hair looking the same as it did before I went to bed.  With that extra hair I had on the right side of my head the last two weeks, I was walking around with a prominent cowlick sticking out horizontally from the right side of my head.  I would like to think that I'm not vain, but alas I am.

Joe, my Downingtown barber - 2001


So it was with some delight this morning when my barber greeted me with "How are you doing handsome!"


BIG SMILE TO RON'S FACE.  That greeting always works for me.  Hey, I'll take my compliments whenever and wherever I can get them these days.  Especially at my age.  There used to be a time that such a compliment was given freely. Not so much anymore, especially down here in Gayberry, where age has exiled me to the Old Gay Guys Club.

After Dino (my barber) as finished cutting my hair he put his mirror back in front of  my puss and asked again "How's it look?"  It was perfect!  Then he said "How old are you Ron?"  I told him "70."  Bless his heart he said "What?!?  I don't believe it! Oh let me tell you I SOAKED THIS UP.

The last week or so I've been down because of some personal items plus an ugly wart that decided to appear on my left forehead (it's going off later this month when I visit the dermatologist).

The next guy up for the haircut looked at me and said "I'm 69, you must have good genes."  That I do.  He said "You don't even have white hair."  Again, good genes. My father and his ten brothers, none had white hair.  I have some gray hair, that is from my maternal grandfather who had steel gray hair.  My barber also added "His hair is still wiry."


Nice to have something nice said to me.  Nice way to start out a day.


Dino, my present barber (with the other barber in his shop)

6 comments:

  1. Ron,

    You should have found some aria from the Barber of Saville as background. I;m with you. When I get up I want my hair to be just where it was when I went to bed. Of course, I don;t have a lot to worry about. I wore it long all my life until the troops began deserting and now I keep it buzzed down close.

    Only problem with getting bald is your head gets cold.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly7:01 PM

    sexay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Marie,

    As always, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lar,
    That's why I wear a hat most of the time, my head gets cold or get sunburned, depending on the season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look very tidy and dapper.
    I tend to fall asleep in the barber's chair, it remains one of the most soothing experiences. my barber will also shave me/trim my whiskers. Hot towels! Bliss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Spo,

    In my early life I had too much hair. It was thick and uncontrollable. I envied those guys like Dobie Gillis who had the permanent neat head of hair. Now that my hairline has receded I can now have that "neat" look. However, barbers sometimes tend to let my hair grow longer and I'm back to uncontrollable hair sticking up at odd angles at the back of my head. I have to remind them "cut it short...buzz cut." Another good thing about getting older, I now have that "Dobie Gill's" neat hair look.

    ReplyDelete