Wednesday, February 08, 2012

I Never Take a Bath

Guy Madison, my all time favorite movie Hunk

I shower.

The last bath I took was sometime in 1953 when I was twelve years old.  Our family lived in a second floor apartment building in Downingtown, Pennsylvania.  Our family of five shared one bathtub.  We bathed once a week, on Saturday night.

When my self-awareness started to kick in around age twelve, I felt a need to take a bath more than once a week.  My father didn't approve.  He thought it was a waste of water to take a bath more than once a week.

I never thought much about taking a bath more than once a week because that was the way I was brought up.  However, I did notice that my feet were dirty.  My crotch area was sweaty and sticky.  My armpits smelled.  Maybe it was my Gay Gene kicking in this desire of mine to be clean.

I compromised with my father and I would wash my feet daily.  I would take a Whore Bath (wet washcloth in a sink and pat down stinky body areas).  That sufficed.  At least I didn't stink when I went to high school

Then in 1954 our family moved to a different apartment.  This one had a shower.  I started to shower, it was so much easier and quicker than drawing water for a bath.  My father still didn't approve of anyone in our family taking a daily shower.

In 1958 our family moved to a newly built ranch house.  Our Family of Five still had one bathroom.  This bathroom also had a bathtub shower combination.  Now that we were working off of our well, my father definitely didn't want us showering (or bathing) once a week.  I continued to wash my feet daily and other address my other body concerns with Whore Bath.

After high school I joined the Army.  One of the major culture shocks I was in for was the Daily Shower.  Now it was required to take a daily shower.  I saw what happened to a fellow recruit from Kentucky who didn't shower daily.  One day he found a bar of soap and a scrub brush on his bunk.  That was a message from his fellow recruits that if he didn't take a shower on his own he would be subjected to a "G.I. Shower."  A "G.I. Shower" is where your fellow soldiers strip the miscreant soldier, drag him to the showers against his will, and scrub him down. Hot stuff for sure but I wasn't about to be subject to THAT ACTION.  So, I began the habit of showering daily which I continue to this day.

Bradley Cooper - I would go back to taking baths...with him

22 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly8:13 AM

    I too do the daily shower; baths use too much water.

    move over in the tub for you, brad, and me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who wouldn't want to bathe with Bradley!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne Marie,

    I never realized how much water was used to take a bath. I never liked bathing in dirty water either. Showers are so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bob,

    What really attracts me to Bradley is his personality. He is one happy guy who doesn't seem full of himself. Someone like Brad Pitt, who while good-looking, lacks sex appeal for me because of his attitude. Brad Pitt and his like have zero sex appeal for me. I'll take a good natured, good-looking guy like Bradley Cooper any day. I am losing my interest in Ryan Gosling. I think he's getting too full of himself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the first time Guy Madison ever appeared in a film was the cameo part he had in "Since You Went Away". What a hunk! He'd give me the incentive to shower every day.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon,

    When I die and go to Heaven and Guy Madison is waiting for me, then I'll know I'm really in Heaven. Guy is my ALL-TIME favorite crush. I got my first boner at 10 years old when he played Wild Bill Hickok.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like you, I don't find bathing to be as clean as showering and I don't find baths very relaxing because the water never stays at the temp I like. I did enjoy a good jacuzzi on a snowing night when my ex-fiancee and I had one. I would never use a public one now and I think twice about public pools too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a daily shower guy, too. Although these days, I will often skip a day. In winter the daily shower just dries me out. Of course, if I'm going out or expecting to see people, I take a shower. I've taken a bath or two, but it's water wasteful, as you point out, and it's cold. I like hot showers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sean,

    I love jacuzzies. Back in my "bath house days" (yes, I was ONE OF THOSE), I always made sure to get in the hot, steamy jacuzzie. My bath house days are long behind me (80's) and now I get by with a hot shower. I was never in a hot tub but it sounds like fun, especially with a honey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walt,

    Just this year I stopped showering every night. Maybe it's because I'm older or the winter weather, but my skin drys out so much. I love a hot, steamy shower (feels so good) but I can't have one every day in the winter. I'll shower before I go to work or I get extra sweaty during my daily walk but otherwise, I skip a day now. This is the first year I've done this since I started showering back in 1960.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is one very nice movie hunk shower photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Poor thing!
    Taking a bawth is one of life's greatest pleasures.
    Just don't sink my boats.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And here we disagree Dr. Spo. I never saw the "pleasure" in sitting in a bathtub of dirty, soap scummy, water that took forever to fill the bathtub up and then left a ring on the bathtub when drained. I just never "got" baths. I had to seek my "Life's greatest pleasures" elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On a chilly winter day I sometimes indulge myself by lounging in a bath to warm up my bones, but I always take a shower after because I also don't feel that clean.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hula Hank,

    That shower photo is of none other that my all-time Movie Star Crush - Guy Madison. He's waiting for me in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scott,

    If I had a Jacuzzi, I would probably use it every day. I do soaking in hot water, especially frothy water swirling around my body. However, bathwater gets cold too fast and it is dirty. I would have to take a shower after "bathing."

    ReplyDelete
  17. I shower twice a day, in the morning before leaving for work and in the evening after getting home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tai,

    In the summertime, when the weather is hot and humid and I am sweaty and stinky, I sometimes take two or three showers a day. But in the winter, I am now only taking a shower every other day. My skin is too dry to be showering everyday at my age. A lifetime of daily showers does that to one's body. My old body.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous12:25 PM

    I shower twice daily, sometimes a bath. I am from India residing in US now, and I can tell you 99% Indians(population 1.3 billion) shower daily, rarely bath !! :)

    Avi

    **We learn something new everyday :)**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Avi,

      This is information I did not know. You're right, "we do learn something everyday.

      Ron

      Delete
  20. Anonymous12:08 AM

    I shower in the morning but a bath at night is very relaxing .....ive never seen scum in my bath but i put in lovely relaxing essential oils.if your skin get dry you could put some lovely cream on it after your shower.....in my opinion it takes 5 years to make afew good friends after you move area because most people join cliques and thats what makes it hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete