Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Maybe It's Me




Maybe it's me or does anyone else find that much of the current crop of much touted movies suck?

I heard so much about "Ides of March" with the current heartthrobs George Clooney (which for the life of me I fail to see his sex appeal) and Ryan Gosling (which I definitely DO see his sex appeal).  So I'm all geared up to watch this highly rated movie in my Bedroom Movie Theatre on my 60 inch Sharp flat screen TV and what do I see and hear?  A darkly lit movie (I thought my TV needed adjustment), mumble dialogue (whatever happened to actors clearly enunciating words?) and a story line that I CANNOT follow.  As much as I like Ryan Gosling his romantic suavo lothario act is starting to wear on me.

One of my all time favorite actors Phillip Seymour Hoffman is in this movie and I couldn't understand what his character was about.  And I don't even know the female "actors" (as ACTRESSES like to be called now days).  I was bored out of my skull fifteen minutes into this movie.  I ejected it out of my DVD player and reached for my next Netflix rental, "Kiss the Girls."

Again, two good actors:  Ashley Judd and Morgan Freeman.  Again, I encountered the same problem.  Dark lighting, mumbled dialogue and hard to follow story.  Even worse, this movie was obviously made by someone who hates women.  I'm not into women being beaten, humiliated and degraded.  That may turn on some movie goers but not this movie goer.  As I've said many times before, I'm not a Broadway Showtune Gay Guy (never GOT that Gay Gene) but I do like a good movie.  A little violence doesn't bother me but when it is gratuitous, THAT bothers me.  And believe me, I know when it is GRATUITOUS.

I would rent one of these stupid ass ROM-COMS (romantic comedies) but I can't seem to find a good movie there either.  The last good movie I saw was "The Help."  I saw it THREE TIMES in the span of three days.

Maybe it is JUST ME.  What do you think?

11 comments:

  1. Ron,

    I haven't seen either movie so probably shouldn't comment. I will anyway. There is a lot of dim and dark lighting in film anymore. It gets claustrophobic because it is hard to focus on people or scenes. Maybe it is my weak eyes, I like more light.

    The last George Clooney film I saw was "The American". It was highly touted, but I had no idea what was going on in it. George kind of went here and there without clear purpose.

    "Kiss the Girls" is based on a book series by James Patterson featuring a character named "Alex Cross". Since the title comes from the nursery rhyme line, "Kiss the Girls and make them Cry" that should give you a clue women won't fare well in it. It's got something to do with a serial killer, so many the violence is in the novel to begin with.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, good movies nowadays are extremely few and far between. It seems like they are released in the theaters on Monday and are already available on DVD by Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,

    Oh I know what "Kiss the Girls" is all about, it is a "thriller" about kidnapping and torturing women. I fail to see the entertainment value. By the way, it's not your eyes, the movies are deliberately dark (under lit) these days. Again, I don't consider this "entertainment."

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Jon, so few good movies. I don't attribute it to poor acting so much as I do to poor writing. Most movies seem to substitute violence and toilet humor instead of a well written story. Maybe if I was younger I wouldn't notice but this old head just isn't buying the crap any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. anne marie in philly6:24 PM

    I don't go to movie theaters much; I can't sit still that long.

    last movie I saw in a theater - "the king's speech".

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did see one current rom-com that I thought was pretty good, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was called or who was in it, so I guess it was not as good as I thought.

    I have real respect for Laura Linney. Everything I have seen her in she has been amazing (despite that the movie itself may have been less than amazing). One of my favourites although it is an "oldie" is You Can Count on Me (it is not a rom com though)

    I also adore Under the Tuscan Sun (with Diane Lane) and Muriel's Wedding...

    Beyond that, I am out. Everything else I like is either a musical or stars Bette Davis.

    I jsut remembered the movie I mentioned earlier, it is Horrible Bosses... which is just com, not a rom com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron,

    I didn't say my eyes caused the film to appear dark. I said because I have weak eyes I don't like the films to be dark.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hank,

    This is the second time I've seen "Horrible Bosses" recommended. I'll order it on my Netflix account now. I need a comedy.
    You like Bette Davis movies too? I can watch "The Letter", "The Little Foxes", "Mrs. Skeffington", and "Dark Victory" over and over. In fact, I have.

    Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne Marie,

    I don't like going to the movies. Some people are rude and they talk while the movie is on plus the screen isn't as good as my 60 inch TV at home. Another big plus is that if I have to take a pee I just put my DVD on hold and go to the bathroom. No weaving my way through knobby knees in seats to get to the movie house bathroom and miss part of the movie while I'm peeing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bette Davis, yes, please. The best part is the she has made so many movies, that one can spend years discovering them all. My favorites so far probably The Star, Dark Victory & of course, All About Eve.

    In addition to old Bette, I also adore Rosalind Russell, Joan Crawford, Lauren Bacall, Marilyn Monroe (My favourite is The Misfits), Mae West, Katharine Hepburn & Doris Day.

    For the boys, I more than adore Rock Hudson, Cary Grant & James Dean.

    Rock Hudson is my dead celebrity crush.

    One of my favourite all time ever movie series is the The Thin Man.

    Whether the movie is "old" or new, my main requirement is that it is well written, directed and acted.

    The writing is especially important, the problem with the modern movies that are supposed to be a "screenwriter's masterpiece" is they just have too many unnecessary words, most of which is the word "fuck" or variation thereof.

    Don't get me wrong I have no issue with a well used swear, but most of the time it is just using the word for the sake of using the word.

    The creativity of language has gone for the sake of a lazy swear.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hank,

    We have the same favorite Bette Davis movies! I am also a fan of Joan Crawford, Mae West, Barbara Stanwyck and Marilyn Monroe. I even like many of the "B" movie stars like Ruth Roman and Liz Scott.

    I know it's a cliche but they really don't make movie stars like they used to.
    The older I've gotten I notice more the poor script writing. It is especially noticeable when there is a good script. Good actors with good scripts, excellent!

    Did you see "The Help" yet? Now there is a great movie well written, well acted and well casted. Many times there is a good movie but the casting is not right.

    I agree with you that too often today's script writers take the easy way out and default to the F Word out of laziness. I'm no prude but sometimes the overuse of the foul language takes away from the movie.

    ReplyDelete