Friday, February 24, 2012

Return Visit To My Dermatologist

"I got a hole in my back!"

First of all, apologies to the readers of my Word Press blog because I'm going to do a repeat here, I also posting a this story to my Word Press blog today.

This morning I returned to my dermatologist to have the one stitch removed from my forehead.  Remember that wart like growth that popped out of my left temple a few weeks ago like a volcano?  I worry about these things, could be cancer.  Well, I have good news.  It wasn't cancer.

My dermatologist told me it was "only" keratosis.  Not even actinite keratosis, which is a pre cancerous condition.  For the past twenty-five years I have had numerous actinide keratosis spots removed from my face.  This was only a benign growth, my dermatologist said. I dodged another bullet!

His assistant removed the one stitch that was in my forehead the past week.  Didn't hurt at all.  She was good.

My doctor told me to take off my shirt and tee shirt and lay on my stomach on the pummel horse bench that is the common fixture in all doctor's office. Oh the stories that contraption could tell if it could talk.

The pummel horse bench was covered in that crinkly butcher type paper (how appropriate) and was cold!  I took off my clothing and rather awkwardly tried to position myself (what do I do with my arms?) on the bench.  It was cold.  Oh, I said that already.

He then gave me a needle in my lower back where he was going to remove the cyst growth near my spine in the small of my back. I've had this cyst removed twice before in years past (as long ago as 1986) but my doctor said they "didn't go deep enough."  Uh huh, sounds like we're going to do some DIGGING here, always fun.  Stick that needle in doc and numb me up!

In a few minutes I'm numbed up.  Now all those names I've been called over the past years like Numb Nuts and Numb Skull one could add Numb Back.  Doesn't quite have the same ring though does it?

So the small of my back is numbed up.  My doctor grabs his scalpel and proceeds to dig....and dig....and dig.  No pain but I could feel the pressure.  That's MY MEAT he's digging into!

Finally he says "Ah ah! "  Then he shows me the recalcitrant invader that took residence up in the small of my back.  It was pink and bloody and big as a large walnut!  Another Piece of Me gone!

The "aftermath" - that's my blood folks!


In the medical waste he tosses it.  He applies three stitches and then bandages me up and tells me not to take a shower for twenty-four hours.  Good thing I took a shower last night.

Before I put my clothes back on I asked if I could take his picture for my iPhone Address book.  He reluctantly agreed.  He wasn't real thrilled but let me take TWO photos. The first one was blurred which is the one I'm posting here.  The other went directly into my Address Book.

My dermatologist - he's taking good care of this Old Man

My next appointment is two weeks from now.  I guess that is how long it will take that hole in the small of my back to heal up.

Again, more proof of that old Bette Davis quote:  "Getting old isn't for sissies!"

Hey, I may be a SISSY but I'm not a sissy.


10 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly5:45 PM

    "I got a hole in me pocket!" - from yellow submarine

    nice butt there, ron; that pix will make you REAL popular! :-)

    hopefully that will be the end of that and your back will heal nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    So now you have a hole in your back to go with the hole in your head.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,

    "A hole in my head?" Well, I NEVER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne Marie,

    Why thank you very much! That wound in my back right now is very sore. I'll be glad when this is all over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you sleep on your back?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tai,

    I always sleep on my side, my right side. That's the only way I can sleep. This wound is still bleeding this morning. My shirt is stained with blood. I'll be glad when this heals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a blemish removed in almost the same area, last year. But you have a better looking doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dermatologist seems like a really laid back guy, in addition to being great at his job. It’s easy to see why you’d want to talk about him in a blog post. Anyway, I’m glad he was able to take care of your stitches and your cyst. How are you feeling these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Marc.

      Ron

      Delete
  9. My dermatologist told me it was "only" keratosis. Not even actinite keratosis, which is a pre cancerous condition. For the past twenty-five years I have had numerous actinide keratosis spots removed from my face. This was only a benign growth, my dermatologist said. I dodged another bullet!
    Dermatologia

    ReplyDelete