His name is Larry Eugene Meredith and we have been Best Friends since 1951. For those of you who can do the math, that is SIXTY YEARS!
|Sixth grade operetta - me in the back not he far left and Larry in the back on the far right (our friend Stuart is in the front row far right) - 1953|
|Lar (far left) and me (far right) with our friend Stuart 1957|
We both lived on Washington Avenue in Downingtown. Larry lived on the 400 block, right next to the East Ward Elementary School. I lived on the 100 block at the other end of Washington Avenue.
|Larry (far left), Ginny Mouldar and me - Larry tried to fix me up with Ginny - 1959 (this was before he know I was gay)|
I can write so much about our friendship, enough to fill a book. But I know you're all busy so I won't make this a "War and Peace" posting about my good friend Larry.
|Lar and me (home on leave from the Army) 1962|
A few minutes ago I just got off FaceTime with Larry. Larry lives at the top end of Delaware in Claymont Delaware, right outside of Wilmington in New Castle County. I live at the bottom end of Delaware in Sussex County. We have one county separating us, which is Kent County, Delaware is a small state and only has three counties.
Larry and I are similar in many ways. Let me list them:
- Both of our fathers were truck drivers
- Neither one of our fathers had a close relationship with us
- Both of our parents told us early on that they couldn't afford to send us to college
- Larry and I both ended up with banking careers
- We both are the family genealogist
- We both like to write
- We both like to take photos
- We both love cats
- Larry is straight, I am not
- Larry has a family (three children), I do not
- Larry leans conservative Republican I lean liberal Democrat
- Larry is Pro-Life, I am Pro-Choice
- Larry is religious, I am not
|Larry and his lovely bride Lois - 1959 (still married!)|
|Me (far left), Miss Ezrah (our third grade teacher) and Larry 2001|
|Lar and me at 10 Downing Street Restaurant in Downingtown 2001|
|Me, Larry and his lovely wife Lois at Irish Eyes in Lewes 2010|
|Me and Larry for our reunion with our friend Stuart - 2011|
|Larry and I at the Purple Parrot in Rehoboth Beach this past summer 2011 - the friendship continues|