Friday, February 17, 2012

The Head Wart Comes Off Today

My Uninvited Guest - a seborrheic keratosis wart 


Today at 12:30 I have an appointment with my new dermatologist.  A couple weeks an uninvited wart like lesion popped up on my left forehead.  In addition to being unsightly, it is annoying because I constantly rub it when I was my face.

About twenty years ago I developed Seborrheic Keratosis as a "reward"for all my years of lying on the beach working on my tan.  Yes, all the warnings about developing skin cancer were true.  I am living proof.

I knew something was wrong because every time I shaved something hurt on the left side of my face.  I made an appointment to see a dermatologist at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia.  I worked at Fidelity Bank which was just a few blocks away.

Dr. Uy (Chinese) diagnosed my problem right away and advised me to take a topical chemotherapy treatment.  This involved putting a salve like substance called Efudex all over my face.  This was over the Christmas and New Year's holidays during 1991 and 1992.  What I didn't know was that this treatment burned off the outer layer of my skin.  It hurt like hell!  My face was beet red.  When I got on the elevator at work, people parted like the Red Sea to give me space.  One of my co-workers hesitantly asked me "What happened to you?  That looks like it hurts."  I told her that I was getting a skin peel (more like skinned alive) and "Yes, it hurts like hell!"

The one good thing about my treatment, was that after it was over I had a whole new layer of skin.  As someone helpfully told me, "your skin will be as smooth as a baby's ass."  And it was.  No wonder Cher gets these treatments all the time.

Since that discovery some twenty years ago, I have been going to a dermatologist at least every six months to remove any new signs of pre cancerous lesions, Seborrheic Keratosis, on my skin.  About half the time I get the dry ice treatment. I remember one time I had several spots removed.  As I layer my head back my dermatologist, Dr. Dvorkin (yes, very similar sounding name to YOU KNOW WHO) put dry ice on the three spots to burn them off.  Little puffs of smoke billowed up in the air from my burning skin.  The Good Doctor said "Does that hurt?"  Well, I GUESS!  I'M SMOKING AREN'T I?

So here I go again today folks.  I am not a Happy Camper.

What was it that Bette Davis said?  "Getting old isn't for sissies!"  






10 comments:

  1. Good luck with the treatment, Ron. Hope it comes off successfully in as painless a way as possible. I bet you've already had more than enough pain in your life for you to go courting any more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting old is not for sissies, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "But ya are Blanch, ya are!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. There appears to be a bird loose in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Ray. It wasn't painless (still hurting) but it had to be done. Now to await the results of the biopsy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Spo,

    I'm here to tell you first had that getting old definitely isn't for sissies. And I always thought I was a Big Sissy. Maybe I have a little butch in me after all. I've been through a lot in the last ten years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff,

    "But ya are Blanche, ya are!"

    You made me laugh out loud!!!! I just love Bette and that was one of her best. LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cubby,

    I didn't realize I was Giving the Bird until I posted the picture. I let it go thinking no one would notice. HA! You caught me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So is that what you look like without your makeup?

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hula Hank,

    Now you know. :)

    ReplyDelete