Monday, February 06, 2012

Key Lime Pie

Key Lime Pie - The Kitchen, Milton, Delaware


This afternoon I took my neighbor Barbara out to lunch for her birthday.  We went to a new restaurant nearby in Paynters' Mill.  The restaurant is called "The Kitchen".  Oh yes, we have such original names for restaurants down here in Slower Lower (aka Sussex County, Delaware).

Well, I'm here to tell you that lunch was a success!  Barb had the prime rib cheese steak sandwich.  It was superb.  I had a vegetable wrap with chicken.  Again, superb!  Bu the topper was the dessert.

We both decided to go for dessert when our waitress told us that Key Lime Pie was on the menu.  Barb and I both LOVE Key Lime Pie.  In fact, Barb's favorite pie is Lemon Meringue Pie.  I make a terrific Lemon Meringue Pie.  I don't make my Lemon Meringue Pie that often because it is a lot of effort and one must eat it within one day or else the pie starts to break down and it becomes watery.

Usually when I order a Lemon Meringue Pie at a restaurant I get an inedible, sticky, gooey, sweet mess of  concoction that I can't eat.  And Key Lime Pie?  Few restaurants in this area even offer this subtle, delectable pleasure.  But when we heard Key Lime was on the menu today, we decided to chance it because our lunch was so good. We were not disappointed.  WOW!

First of all the presentation was perfect!  We both "oohed and aahhed" when our waitress placed our chilled (yes Virginia, our dessert plates were chilled as was the pie) plates down before us.  We lifted our forks in unison and stabbed the yellowish main body of the pie.  We airlifted our first bite to our lips and experienced a gastronomic delight.  The pie was delicious!

A delicate graham cracker crust, fresh strawberries, a dab of real whipped cram and some other kind of sauce that we couldn't identify, topped with a sprig of mint.  A perfect ending to a perfect lunch with a good friend.


Me and the Birthday Girl at The Kitchen

11 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly6:57 PM

    (drooling) key lime pie! lemon meringue pie! can't lose weight eating those! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It even looks like an excellent tasting pie!

    However I am wondering, either it is a really small peice or those are some giant strawberries!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hank,

    You're right, that was a small piece of pie and very large strawberries. They were fresh too. I could have eaten a piece of that pie that was twice as big. I'm glad the chef didn't load it down with green food color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Marie,

    It was a small piece of pie. When you're down here I'll treat you to one. After lunch we went up to the Dogfish Brewery. I showed Barbara the sculpture. She didn't like it. Last time I was up there I was with you. Nice memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron,

    Something I have never had. Seems like every restaurant always has key lime Pie on the desert tray, but I have never tried it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I'd be allowed the strawberries but, alas, for me that pie is now probably off-limits. :-( Still, maybe just one bite....?

    The quantity of that dessert - or the lack of it - looks very 'nouvelle cuisine-ish'. I trust that the price was correspondingly low.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ray,

    This pie had a light, delicate taste, not heavy. Alas, the price was not correspondingly low. It was $6.00 per slice, too much in my world. Maybe it's me, but it seems that anything good in restaurants where I live now is greatly overpriced. Maybe I'm stuck in a time warp but I think $6.00 for a slice of pie, no matter how good, is outrageous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larry,

    I"m surprised you haven't partaken in this rare dessert. I've never gotten a decent lemon meringue pie at a restaurant and this is the first time I've gotten a good key lime pie dessert at a restaurant. However, it was greatly overpriced at $6.00 a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother and I have been here for brunch on Sunday several times (try the Broadkill Breakfast) and have talked about coming for dinner. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Gwenn",

    The food was well prepared and fresh...and expensive. Be forewarned.

    ReplyDelete