Sunday, February 12, 2012

San Francisco Police Department "It Gets Better Video"


With the wall to wall coverage this weekend on TV of the death of Whitney Houston, I prefer to see something uplifting like this video from the San Francisco Police Department.

One thing I find very interesting is the fact that a couple of police officers stated that they knew they were "different" at a young age (5 years old) but should keep this knowledge to themselves.  I felt the same way when I was growing up in the late 1940's and first became aware that I was "different."  Now remember this was back before TV, the Internet and the Digital Age.  I didn't even know the word "gay."  In fact, I didn't even learn of the word "homosexual" until I was in high school.  I just knew I was different.  And yes, I thought I was the "only one" in the whole world, even up to the time I joined the Army at 18 years old in 1960.  It was only after I was in the Army that I met other young men like myself that I knew I wasn't "the only one" in the world.

Sadly, the two gay men I met in the Army and who were my best friends (Ron and Sal) are now gone.  They didn't live long enough to see this dramatic change in our society.  Oh how I would like to discuss this with them.  Maybe someday in the Great Up There we will meet again and we'll have a big laugh about the absurdity of discrimination against gays and lesbians.  Thank God things are changing for the new generation and the young people beginning their lives today.  They have a freedom that we didn't have. They will lead a much different life than we lead.

My two best friends (gay) in the Army - Sal DeRosa and Ron Hampton 1960 - Ft. George G. Meade, Maryland
Ron and Sal produced and starred in a Broadway type show (of course they did) at the Service Club - I supplied the music

No comments:

Post a Comment