Friday, February 03, 2012

Bloggers

Me at lunch this week at a God Awful Restaurant - I know how to pick 'em!

Recently I have been expanding my horizons.  More specifically I have renewed my search for other blogs whose postings I think I would find interesting.  I am a very nosy curious person and I like to read what others write about their lives.  I'm gay so of course I have a special interest in reading other gay people's blogs, primarily gay men not that there is anything wrong with lesbian bloggers but I just don't have anything in common with them.

I also am interesting in reading blogs where people have something to say, gay or straight.  One of my earliest favorite bloggers is a straight guy (cute too) who does a Sunday Post.  He posts pictures that he has taken with his smart phone during the week.  The pictures are eclectic, many of which are of his family.  He has a wry sense of humor that I like and I also like seeing photos of his happy family.

Another one of my favorite bloggers is a gay guy who, along with his gay partner have adopted four children.  This blogger is an excellent photographer.  Most of his pictures are of his kids but I never tire of seeing them because this is another happy family.  I like happy families.

I recently discovered another blogger who writes with a biting sarcastic wit of the different absurdities of current events, both political and entertainment.  I too see Life as a circus sometimes dominated by self-absorbed politicians and celebrities and hate mongers who hate me just for who I am.  Reading his blog postings do something for me, they release my pent up rage against some aspects of life.

Of course I also read the blog postings of my longtime personal friend who I've known since third grade.  He is an excellent writer and he tells a story of his daily adventures in everyday living like no one else can. He also writes poetry but poetry is something that I never "got" but other than that, he is one of my regulars.

Then there is one of my very favorite bloggers (he's a favorite of many).  He lives in Arizona and he dispenses gentle observations of life. I always feel good when I read his blog postings.  He is a delight and he makes my life more bearable.  He's cute too.

There is one fly in the ointment though.  Because lately I have been expanding my horizons (so to speak) and reading more blogs and leaving comments on those I think are interesting, I am disheartened by the lack of response of many of those bloggers.  To be truthful, I really don't know what to expect.  Some of my regular bloggers almost always respond.  They don't have to respond to every one of my blogs but it is nice to know someone is reading my blogs.  What does surprise me though is that very few bloggers acknowledge comments that I made on their blogs.  Maybe it's me.  Maybe my comments aren't that interesting (not the first time I will have been told that I'm not ALL THAT).  Then again I think it might be my age.  I am seventy years old and let's face reality friends, most gay men under the age of fifty are scared shitless of OLD GAY MEN.  I hope that's not the reason because there is NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THAT.

So there you go folks.  Just a little venting on my part.  Just wondering if I should continue to comment on other's blogs.  Think I should continue to be a voice in the wilderness?  That's the way I feel sometimes.

20 comments:

  1. I find it frustrating too, for I always like to hear from those dropping by, even just once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not you. Of all the blogs I read very few respond to comments. I'm guilty too but try.

    You'll know by the number of comments a blogger averages. Compare Joe.My. God. to Towlroad, both are news and political and each get thousands of hits a day but JMG easily gets 100 comments a post and Towlroad maybe gets five. Wicked Gay Boy is in the thousands-a-day hits and Dave does respond and comments on other blogs but is lucky to get 3 comments a post.

    So relax and do what makes you happy. I'll read your comments as I always do when you read a post before me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think about this too Ron. I write my blog for me only. If someone wants to rear and make a comment, that's nice. Comments are always appreciated, but not expected.

    I read a lot of blogs, but I haven't commented on many... I hope that people don't take it personally. I just don't have much to say.

    But, that's just my opinion....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have come to know a lot of incredible people through blogging, and I'm always greatful when they take the time to read my rambling rants.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,

    I usually comment on Blog posts I read. I don't generally comment on comments unless they seem to need an answer or clarification. If someone comments on one of my Posts who is new or I seldom see something from I go to their Blog and either comment on their latest Post or thank them for their comment.

    It is always nice to get a comment.

    I comment on almost every one of your posts.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always appreciate your (and others') comments and I try to respond to everybody, even it it's only a wink and a smile ;)

    I also try to comment on others' blogs, but sometimes I feel like my meager comments get lost in the flood of very popular blogs. At any rate, there are just some bloggers out there who don't respond and that's just the way it is. Some say they don't up front, and that's ok. Some respond to some comments and ignore others. Strange, but again, that's the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. anne marie in philly3:23 AM

    YES DO! you never know what will strike a spark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I definitely think you should keep commenting.

    I don't often respond to comments on my blog because, well, I guess I feel the comment section is for READERS to comment, and not for more of MY rants and rages.

    If someone comments on something that I feel needs a response from me, then i'll do so, and keep the conversation going. I just feel that I've said my piece in the post and now the reader gets the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bob,

    I LOVE your rants and raves! We think alike my friend. You write what I think. In fact, you probably write it better. :) Your blog is one of my favorites. I hope you keep blogging for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Walt,

    You are right on every count. I am a Find a Grave volunteer. I used to feel not appreciated when I took a photo for someone and they didn't thank me or even acknowledge that I took the photo even though there is a place for thanking the volunteer on the website. A fellow volunteer told me the same thing happens to her but not to be concerned about it. She says she enjoys taking the photos and, while it's nice to be thanked but wasn't as important to her as taking the photos and posting them. That's the way I feel about my blog postings. I enjoy writing my blog. You're a very reasonable guy Walt. I like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lar,

    Yes, you do comment on almost everyone one of my blogs except when I go off the rails sometimes (as I am wont to do). I appreciate all of your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jon,

    I enjoy reading your "rambling rants." You're a fun read. I love your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jim,

    Good point. Actually, I write my blog only for me too. I am flattered that some others might find it interesting but at the end of the day, I really write my blog for myself. I too read some blogs but I just don't have anything to say to some of the postings. I don't want to comment just to make a comment but only if I have something to say. I'm glad I'm getting other bloggers perspectives. It is helping me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sean,

    Thanks! I was beginning to think it WAS me. You're right, most people don't respond to comments. Thinking about it now, I read a lot of blogs but I only comment on those that I find interesting and I want to add my two cents. Of course your blog is one of my favorites. I love your Mug Shots! One of my special weekly pleasures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dr. Spo,

    Sometimes when there is a paucity of comments on one of my postings I think "Uh oh, I did something to offend." Having a inborn propensity to always seek to please people (something I've been working on all my life to balance), I sometimes lose the perspective of why I am blogging. I am actually blogging for myself. If others find my posts interesting, then it make me feel good. I feel needed and important (I'll admit it). When I don't hear anything then I feel I have offended someone and the Little Boy in me comes out seeking to right the wrong. Maybe I'm over thinking this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. continue to comment Sir . I enjoy your email with them :-) For some reason blogger does not let me ever get thru when I try to popst using Open ID I just tried 12 times on the previous comment and it keep asking for the correct word verification again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Roger (3rdnlong)

    I'll disable the word verification. When I had it disabled before I was getting too many spam comments. Actually, a LOT. I'll give it a try again.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wait... You're over 50? I thought people vapourised some time in their 40s.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm pretty bad at commenting on other blogs. I know I don't often comment here, although I do read the majority of your posts. However, if someone comments on mine, I think I pretty much always respond

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim,

    Always good to hear from you but please don't feel obligated to comment on my blog. Perhaps I should have posted my frustration about comments. From the amount of comments I've received to this posting I now realize how many folks read my blog but perhaps don't comment. Now I know.

    ReplyDelete