Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ready to Go

Iris

This morning we picked up our rental van.  Our friend Bob stopped over.  We showed him what plants have to be watered.  We invited him to come over as often as he would like.  Sit on the back deck and enjoy the view of Route 1 and our Purple Martins in our backyard oasis.  Neighbors on either side of our house will be keeping an eye on our house as we do their when they are away.  We don't often go away so usually we're the ones watching the house.  It's a reverse situation this time.  Probably the last time both Bill and I will be making a trip together.


The main purpose of this trip is for Bill to visit his hometown of Toccoa, Georgia.  Bill is 82 years old now and this will probably be the last time he sees his hometown.  We visited last year but only stayed a few hours in the afternoon, not enough time for Bill to visit his old haunts.


Later we will be visiting my brother in Greenville, South Carolina.  We'll stay there a few nights then we're off to Cades Cove, Tennessee and the Smoky Mountains National Park.  Bill has never seen this beautiful American Shangri-la.  I am looking forward to showing him around.  On the way I hope to meet up with several of my family cousins in Tennessee and North Carolina.  


We have no set time to be at any place, this is a casual trip.  I don't like to be tied down to a "If this is Tuesday this must be Belgium" schedule.  


I'm taking my iPad and iPhone with me and hope to keep my blog updated but I cannot guarantee that I will.  If you don't here from me for a few days, don't panic.  I will be back.  


As much as I'm looking forward to this trip I am going to miss my home here.  I am truly at home here in Delaware.  For the first time in my life I am living in a place that doesn't feel like a temporary way station on the way to my permanent home.  This is my home and I will be glad to return. 


Paying for the rental this morning

21 comments:

  1. Ron and Bill, Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    have a good trip, take a lot of pictures.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon voyage, my friend. Will be thinking of you as you do what is surely going to be a very poignant trip.
    Keep us posted on your travels if you can, otherwise looking forward to reading about everything on your return.

    Btw Your postings of pictures of flowers in bloom are always really inspirational. I do love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you have a safe and fabulous trip.
    I will be intrigued to hear the details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be safe!
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  6. have a wonderful safe trip, the both of you, and i will be looking forward to the photos and reports, since these are places i will probably never visit myself! -tony

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Tony! We're on the road right now as I type this to Greensboro, NC. More when we check in the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Mark!We have room in our van for you and your crew! Wish you were along to take pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dr. Spo,
    We just crossed over into North Carolina. Rebel country!
    Details when we check into hotel in about two hours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Ray. I'm riding shotgun (navigator) right now. I drove six hours this morning. We're two hours away from the hotel in Greensboro. Glad you like the flowers. Rick was my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. anne marie in philly4:50 PM

    have a good trip. I have been to many of the places you have mantioned.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Don! No 'fine dining' yet. Shoney's this afternoon (hamburger) and Ruby Tuesday tonight. YUM! We're off to Greenville, SC tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Lar! Wish you were here. I know we would have a lot of fun. This trip is very hard on Bill. It's probably our last trump like this.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Anne Marie. We got the hard part of the trip out of the way - Norfolk, VA. Now it's time to enjoy our trip!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Tai.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Walt. You've given me inspiration for posting pictures of beautiful flowers. Whever I go now I look for beautiful flowers to take pictures of.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Walt. You've given me inspiration for posting pictures of beautiful flowers. Whever I go now I look for beautiful flowers to take pictures of.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love iris! You're going to miss DWTS.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jeff,
    I'm sitting in a motel room right now in Townsend, Tennessee watching DWTS. I missed the show last night because of a late night at my brother's house in Greenville, South Carolina. We're going to stay here s couple of days. I'm taking a lot of pictures.

    ReplyDelete