Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Updating My Will

Some color this morning out by my garage door


I put it off long enough.  I can't put it off any longer.  I had to update my will.  That's what I worked on all morning. I hate doing this.


I've lost count of the number of wills that I've had made.  I thought when I had my first will drawn up way back in the Sixties, that would do me for a while.  Oh no, every time I've changed my address I've had to change my will.  Every time my circumstances have change, time to change the will again.  


My last new will was two years ago, 2008.  Since then my Mother has died and one of my main beneficiaries, "Jeff" (of longtime friend previously mentioned blogs), has lost his mind.  He is mentally incapable doing anything much these days so it would be pointless to have him named in my will to 'remove personal items' from my house before my executors (my brother and his wife) comb through my lifetime of accumulations to distribute them.  Plus, I had also made a monetary bequest to Jeff but I have to remove that bequest because it would probably end up in the hands of his partner, who I do not like.  Life does get complicated doesn't it?


This morning I also worked on my second copy of the "Making Things Easy For My Family" booklet.  This is an information source of all my financial records; names, telephone numbers, etc. so my executors won't go crazy searching for this information when I'm no longer around.  Gathering and putting all this information down is such a pain.  I can't tell you how much I hate it.  I just want my life to be simple and  uncomplicated.  That seems impossible these days.


Pictured on this blog is my first bloom of spring flowers right outside my garage door. Spring, a New Beginning.  I hope I'm around for a many more springs to come.


Right now I'm looking at a colonoscopy examination at the end of this month.  Next week I take an Old People's bus trip to New York City.  I updated my travel accident insurance this morning.  That too was a pain finding the right telephone number.  Next month Bill and I are taking a trip down South to his hometown and to visit my brother in South Carolina.  Then I'm going to touch base at the Family Roots in the hills of western North Carolina (hillbilly country).  Who knows what will happen during these excursions?  I better be pretty well prepared.


Right now I'm having lunch then a nap before I go to work this afternoon.  


Just another day in this retiree's (complicated) life.  


White on white out by the entrance to my basement  - what was I thinking?



14 comments:

  1. I get a knot in my stomach each time I think about the idea of putting together a will, and each time I realise I've still not done one. I know it is wrong, and I know I really should get one done. I need an easy tick-box, multiple choice option...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, we are preparing a will for the first time in our lives. Fred and I got in an arguement at the attorney's office on Friday. Good thing he was a friend and is used to hearing us argue. But I agree with you, I suppose that we will need to update this several times before the end. Oh, and just so you know, we left the kids for you and Bill to raise. All you need to know is that they go to bed at 8:30 and Mass is EVERY sunday morning. Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    Yes, when does the simple life begin? It just seems complications rise out of the dust on the ground. This has been a complicated month and I am just kind of standing about doing nothing that should cause any complications at all and like some magician's trick they just pop out of the air.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. It may seem a bit sad to do it, but your presumptive heirs will be very thankful you took the time to do it. It will make their lives easier for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want your life to be simple and uncomplicated, start getting rid of "stuff" from the past. Downsize. Enjoy the NOW. It's really all we've got, isn't it? This video may of help.
    La-dee-da-dee-da-da.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzVCHv6FSbg

    BTW, I like the white on white with the green and stone. But that's just me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wayne,

    I like the white flowers with the white brick background too. Bill likes a LOT of color. The white flowers also have a touch of pink in them which makes a subtle contrast with the white brick. I like a Christmas tree with white lights. Bill won't have a 'plain' tree like that in the house. That's why we never have a Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,

    You're all heart. Thanks so much for thinking of me and Bill. Actually Bill love kids but we might be a tad old now to take on that responsibility. Yesterday he took some fresh fruit for our neighbor's kids. He gives it to their Mom. Have to be careful these days you know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim,

    I hate making a new will just about as much as I hate doing my taxes but it is something that has to be done. I'll be glad when it's over with. Hopefully this is the last time I have to do it before I croak.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lar,

    What's got your underwear in a wad?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cubby,

    You're absolutely right. I don't want to leave THAT memory behind when I check out. "Uncle Ronnie didn't leave a will". I put the outline together tonight. I had forgotten how many neices and nephews and grand neices and grandnephews I had. They're all getting a nice bequest. That's the memory I want to leave behind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the flowers! Not so much the working to updated the will. Makes us all ponder a bit, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ron,

    Corporate stupidity and too much rain.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have a will for this blog and other electronic properties?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Walt,

    I also love flowers and the beauty of nature. That's why I like your blog so much. I hate doing my will. I just got back from my lawyer's office. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I hope this is my last will.

    ReplyDelete