Thursday, April 21, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan

Oven Baked Eggplant Parmesan

Perhaps my favorite dish of all time is Eggplant Parmesan.  Whenever I'm out at a restaurant the first thing is check on the menu is to see if they have Eggplant Parmesan.  Most restaurants do not offer this delicious and healthy entree.  Those that do, the variations range from the proper way it is baked (crusty breaded outer layer with a soft, slightly 'eggplant' bitter inner layer covered with fresh tomato sauce and layers of Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses) to what I call 'eggplant soup.'  Yes, I've had chunks of eggplant in a soupy tomato sauce passed off as "Eggplant Parmesan" (I sent it back).  


Since the restaurants down here in LSD (Lower Slower Delaware) are so focused on seafood  and those that do prepare Eggplant Parmesan are found so wanting, I make my own Eggplant Parmesan.  Again, as usual, my version if far superior to anything I can find in a restaurant down here in East Coast Tourist Trap Land with their Sysco Driven Food supply.  Mine is made with fresh ingredients, not grease soaked, and a LOT cheaper (no tip required).  And when you make it at home like I do you will get it hot out of the oven, not lukewarm which is the way I usually have it served to me at a restaurant.  I'm going to beat up on the restaurants down here in LaLa Land again but they have so much to learn about the proper way to serve GOOD FOOD.  I guess I was spoiled by all the really good restaurants that I enjoyed all those summers in the 70's and 80's when I vacationed in Provincetown, Massachusetts.  I don't know what it is with the folks who run restaurants in Gayberry, DE (aka Rehoboth Beach), but they just 'don't get it.'  When I eat out now I do it for the social aspect, I've given up on getting good and interestingly prepared food.  Never once in Provincetown did I have a dish served to me that was 'painted' on the dish.  That's what they do down here and call it 'presentation.'  Hey, I don't need 'presentation', I only need good tasting food at a reasonable price.  Alas, I fear those days of dining on good and fresh food at reasonable prices is long gone.  It is a reality that I have reluctantly accepted as my lot since I have made my home in coastal southern Delaware.  


So here without further ado is my recipe (gleaned from the Internet with a few tweaks) for Oven Baked Eggplant Parmesan.  Just a note, I don't fry my breaded eggplant slices because I don't want to smell up my kitchen and great room with grease plus I don't want all that grease splattering all over my flat top range.  And another 'plus' is that oven baked is healthier.  Just another reason I am healthy and kept my weight at 160 lbs. is the same as it was  when I graduated from high school 52 years ago- Yes, I'm bragging (it's my blog and I can brag)




Oven Baked Eggplant Parmesan

Click to make recipe bigger if you can't read it

Eggplant Parmesan before I put it in the oven

16 comments:

  1. This is going to be in my belly tonight! Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you cook this for me when I visit you and Bill this Summer? Please!!!! m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,
    I would love to cook this in the summer but Bill won't let me use the oven in the summer. In fact I'm using the oven right now to make a ham and broccoli cheese casserole which I will freeze. I've also frozen this eggplant dish. If you visit in the summer we have a couple of restaurants that serve a good Eggplant Parmesan. We'll give one of them a go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cubby,

    Enjoy! I like this version because it isn't greasy thus no after dinner burps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. tigerchanter,

    Believe me, IT IS DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps my favorite dish of all time is Eggplant Parmesan. Whenever I'm out at a restaurant the first thing is check on the menu is to see if they have Eggplant Parmesan.

    OMG!!
    I do the same thing! Someone likes to beat me to it and tell me yes/no there is eggplant parm on the menu tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love E.P. too. You can bet I'll be making some later this summer when my eggplants are ready to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spo, I DO THE SAME THING! Whenever I'm at a new restaurant I check to see if Eggplant Parm is on the menu. I wasn't even aware of eggplant until I was an adult. My Mother never cooked Italian food and certainly never eggplant (she doesn't like anything with garlic in it). Thus when I got out in the Big World, I had a lot of new dishes to try for the first time. I immediately fell in love with Eggplant Parmesan. To me Eggplant Parmesan has a sensual quality about it. I just love it! Just something else we have in common. I wish I would have met you in a previous life. I like your personality, your looks, and your positive outlook on life. Maybe someday I can cook you my special Eggplant Parmesan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Walt,

    I've tried growing fresh eggplant but haven't had much success. I wonder if my Eggplant Parm would taste different with fresh eggplant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Eggplant Parm! It's one of my faves too. Best of all no meat!
    Thanks for the recipe. I've never tried making it myself now I have to.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:29 PM

    Hi Ron,

    Your eggplant parmesan looks delicious! I will definately be giving this recipe a try very soon.

    What do you think about this weather? I bought my annuals to plant this weekend so everything will look nice for Easter. Forget that! I put them in the garage til the weather warms up a bit.

    I don't think you gave your opinion on the Dancing With The Stars vote out. I was flabergasted! I thought she might win in the end as she had come a long way & was very fluid in her dance steps. Oh well, what do I know.

    Have a "Happy Easter"!

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stan,

    I love Eggplant Parm! At this time of my life I'm going more the vegetarian way and this is definitely one of my favorite dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fran,

    You noticed that I didn't post about Petra being voted off of DWTS. I thought she did quite well I am partial to tall, elegant dancers of which Petra definitely was one. I was sorry to see her go.
    Yes, it looks like we have jut a little bit more of the cold to go before spring finally arrives. All these 'teasing' days fool us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. When is your next Egg/Parm supper? May I make my reservations now and is it BYOB?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Spo,

    It goes without saying that you and Someone are always welcome at Casa Tipton-Kelly. A nice Cabernet Sauvigon would be nice.

    ReplyDelete