Saturday, April 09, 2011

Rescued Daffodils

Rescued Daffodils


Early last spring I saw bunches of daffodils pushing their way through the tangled undergrowth of weeds and vines at the end of the lane behind our house.   Obviously there was once a house and home on that now overgrown with jungle like vines and trees at one time.  The daffodils sprouting up in spring is always a sure sign that a family once lived there in a house that was their home.  No doubt the family that lived in that house many years ago always rejoiced when they saw their daffodils that someone planted in the fall burst up through the cold earth in spring.  It seemed a shame to leave those daffodils in that now abandoned home site.  


So last year I got out my old friend The Shovel and strolled up to the lot at the end of the lane behind my one acre backyard and dug those suckers up and planted them around my house.  


Take a look at them in the photo that I took in front of my house just a few minutes  ago.  Now don't they seem happy?  No longer do they seem forlorn, nodding in the wind, pleading for someone to appreciate them.  Those sunshine yellow harbingers of spring now have a new home.  


Hey, I do what I can.  


The Rescued Daffodils go well with my Chieftain Tulips

13 comments:

  1. Oh, they're so beautiful!
    What are small violet flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai,
    The small violet flowers are called....ready? Violas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daffodils are my favorite... the first sign of spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, absolutely gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. D@vid,
    I love daffodils too! I feel a need to rescue them when I see them popping up in spring on a piece of land that no long has a home there. I have to give them a loving home again. I rescued hundreds of daffodils when I lived in Pennsylvania and planted them on my former home. Now that that home is abandoned those poor daffodils are now looking for another home. Maybe I'll take a ride up there and rescue them too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful daffodils! Well done!!

    In the wilderness area where I live, our daffodil and tulip bulbs tend to get dug up and eaten by different critters.... squirrels, groundhogs, maybe racoons... frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tai,

    I think Ron meant to say Violets are called Violets. They are a small purple flower very common to our area. You see them all over during the spring and summer, growing on lawns or in fields, They grow pretty wild. Here is a website all about them. http://www.violets.com/

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  9. No Larry, actually you are wrong. I bought those purple (and yellow) flowers from Pepper's Greenhouse and they are called "Violas". I know what violets are, they grow wild. Violas are a bigger that their cousin, the violets. Look it up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ron,

    Actually where I was wrong is I misunderstood Tai's question. I thought he was asking what violets were. I just noticed you had these little purple plants when I came back here checking the comments. But to be honest when I saw them, I thought, "Oh there are some violets in the picture. So they are called violas, eh? Live and learn.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I die I want to die in April, so there are plenty of daffodils around for me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spo,
    You are a sweetheart. It is no wonder that you have so many fans.

    ReplyDelete