Friday, April 29, 2011

Nervous About the Big Trip

A spray of flowers at my friend Don's house in Milton, DE


Well, here we are only a few days away from the Big Trip South.  Bill and I are taking a swing through the  South to visit my brother John in Greenville, South Carolina.  From there we will visit Bill's hometown of Toccoa, Georgia.  Then a swing up to the Smoky Mountains National Park and Cades Cove.  Then to Knoxville, Tennessee to visit with a fellow family genealogist that I'm going to meet face to face the first after many telephone conversations, e-mails, and Facebook comments.  That should be exciting. 


Then we're off to Johnson City, Tennessee which is right over the state line from the mountains (and "hollers") of North Carolina where my father was born and left when he was 10 years old with his eight brothers and mom and pop to work in his uncle's farm in southeastern Pennsylvania during the depression. That's another whole story and the reason this Tipton is a Yankee (as they call me in the South when I visit).  We're also going to stop at the Tipton-Haynes Historic Site in Johnson City to see Penny McLaughlin, the director again.  I've been friends with Penny going on for almost twenty years now.  Where does the time go?  I'm also going to stop and visit my cousin Daisy Buckles.  She is the daughter of my great-grandfather who was born in 1856.  Figure that one out. It is true.  He married again late in life to a woman forty years younger than him.  Daisy has been a great source of family information over the years.  Last year when we visited her I dropped in without forewarning.  Poor Daisy, she didn't even have time to do her hair.  I won't do that again to her this year.


Me and my brother John when we 'dropped in' on Daisy last year


Then we're off to Bristol, Virginia to visit another one of my cousins I've never met face to face before, Anne Tipton.  She is the granddaughter of my granduncle Dove Tipton. My granduncle stayed behind during the Depression while his brother Fieldon (my grandfather) left for Pennsylvania.  I've talked to Anne on the phone and exchanged e-mails but never met face to face.  Exciting times.


With all this going on I'm a mess right now because every time I plan a trip I'm always afraid I'm going to forget something.  Once I'm on the road I'm all right, it's the leading up to the trip.  This is why I never took a job during my career that required me to travel a lot.  I just don't have than gypsy mentality.  I'm a homebody.  I like the comfort and security of my home, especially my home here in Delaware.  But I know if I'm going to experience anything in life I have to break loose every now and then.  


 I don't know how much I'll be able to keep up on my blog.  I probably won't be able to provide as many pictures as I have before.  We'll see how this goes.  


Lots of excitement around here but I am NERVOUS! 

7 comments:

  1. Have a safe and wonderful trip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    Hey, what's the worse you could forget you couldn't pick up somewhere, other than your camera and you got so many devices that snap pictures you're bound to remember one. Have fun and enjoy.

    When I worked for the bank I got to travel a bit and I enjoyed it. Got around the country a bit. Course back then it was less a hassle at the airports than today. It was nice because somebody else was paying for it.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,

    In a way I'm looking forward to this trip but I'm also dreading it because of all the hassle. Just another manifestation of getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This must be a long trip with many things to do. You should note them on your iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's on your way and got the time you guys should stop and tour the Jack Daniels Distillery 280 Lynchburg Highway, Lynchburg, TN where they make the Bourbon. It was years ago when I was there but I remember the farm and the animals which I love and the little tour is interesting and doesn't take too long.
    I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. As I get older I just don't like driving that much any more and with the price of gas.....UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you play road games?
    Do you eat on the way?
    What is the 'official music' of this road trip?
    and
    Do they have rest stops in VA?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Spo,
    Games? Eat? None of that for us. we fight! Already two battle royales.

    ReplyDelete