Sunday, January 15, 2012

Richard C. Thomas



Every year I send out over one hundred Christmas cards, most of them to former co-workers, friends and relatives that I do not see during the year because of geography.  Sending out these Christmas cards is also a way I keep track of who among these folks is still living and who has passed on.

The last couple of years I have received sad notes from relatives of some of my Christmas card recipients informing me of their passing.  This year was no exception.  This week I received a short note from Bob Thomas, the brother of one of my Christmas card recipients who I did not receive a card from this year.

He informed me that his brother Dick had died on October 2, 2011.

Dick Thomas was the personnel officer who hired me to begin work at Girard Bank in Philadelphia in March of 1965.  A long, long time ago.  Dick worked in personnel (prior to the "Human Resources" days) for several years before he became a trust department officer.  I worked in trust operations.  We worked together for twenty two years.  After I left the bank I maintained my friendship with Dick.

Dick and me at lunch 1986 - Philadelphia, PA


Dick had a "Gentleman's Farm" in Honey Brook, Pennsylvania, not far from where Bill and I lived in "Whispering Pines" (the name Bill and I gave our 6.875 acre wooded paradise outside of Downingtown, PA).  I would often visit Dick at his farm which was about ten miles up the road from where we lived.

Dick lived in a grand old country farmhouse with a lot of history.  He took care of about thirty feral cats who would gather about his property, seeking food and shelter in his barn.  He loved that place.

Dick's cats wait to be fed


Thus, another piece of the mosaic of my life has passed on.

I called Bob yesterday to talk to him and to find out the manner of his brother's death.  He told me that Dick had died of prostate cancer.  He also told me that they honored Dick's wishes.  Dick was cremated and his ashes scattered over his property that he loved so much.

Rest in peace Dick.

Harold (another friend) and Dick at Dick's property in Honey Brook, PA 1980

2 comments:

  1. What an incredibly touching post. thank you for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Bill. At this time of my life my friends, relatives and former co-workers are leaving with increasing frequency. Sad.

    ReplyDelete