Monday, January 30, 2012

Do I Look Like My Father?

This is a photo of my father at 18 years old when he worked for Lukens Steel Company in 1941 when he was 21 years old

I guess this is the fate of all first born sons, the older they get the more they look like their father.

Tell me what you think.  Here are a series of photographs of me and my father, Isaac Walter Tipton, Sr.

This is a drivers license photo of me when I was about 22 years old taken in 1963

Both my father and I were 6'4" tall (I'm now 6'3" - I'm shrinking!)  We both have the same blank stare.  My father usually had his mouth hanging open.  I do to, this picture was the exception.  

The one significant difference between me and my father was that he was blonde and I have dark brown hair (from my Mother).  We both had blue eyes and a slim build with big feet (look it up.) 




My father was a very handsome man.  He had ten brothers (no sisters) and he was perhaps most handsome of his brothers with the possible exception of his brother John who the brothers nicknamed "Movie Star."  My father, or "Pop" as we knew him NEVER had a problem attracting women.  In fact, he was a woman magnet. I found out shortly before my Mother died (when she divulged all to me) that he did carry on quite a bit.  Thank God she forgave him and kept our family together.  They were married 60 years before he died in August of 2000.


Me, 1968.  Unlike my father (who was VERY straight) I am gay.  Like my father I NEVER had a problem attracting men (no false modesty here, it is MY BLOG after all :))  And yes, I have done my share of catting around (Bill and I have always had an open relationship)


My handsome father and beautiful Mother (who was beautiful even without makeup) - 1958.

Later in life my father grew a beard as I did also.


This picture was taken at Hibernia Lake near Coatesville, PA in 1974.  My father was 54 years old.  He wasn't skinny anymore but he wasn't fat either.  I inherited his good genes, neither of us ever grew fat.  However, since I was gay I elected to stay a little thinner than my father.  In the gay world thin is in.


This is me at our former property in Pennsylvania in 1976.  I was about 35 years old in this picture.



Here I am now (this past summer actually) at 69 years old.  Less hair, gray beard, but still with the old pizzazz!  

 I decided to post this vanity blog to offset (balance) the negativity of my previous blog posting. I don't like to post blogs like that but sometimes I just have to get the anger and frustration out of my system.  

Back to good things on this blog.  Things that I WANT TO TALK ABOUT, not what someone else thinks I should talk about.  

I am proud of my father.  I am proud of my mother and brothers.  I am proud of myself and where I am at in my life.  I have a wonderful partner of 47 years and I don't believe that I have to apologize to anybody for being blessed in my life, no matter how much they try to bring me down.  

A fellow blogger sent me a quote that Marilyn Monroe said that I never heard before that is so appropriate at this time.  

"If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”


"Pop" at his best, self confident, happy and looking good!


"Pop" with his successor, ME!  1942

5 comments:

  1. anne marie in philly3:18 PM

    hot stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne Marie,

    Pop was popular with the ladies until the day he died. He was a charmer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    The photograph you start this post with, the yellowish grainy one that you say is your dad working for the Coatesville Veterans Hospital is actually a detail taken from your dad's 9/10/41 Lukens Steel Co Identification Card.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Larry, I'll correct that. He actually worked at the Veterans Hospital after he worked at Lukens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see some similarities, but your eyes and your father's eyes tell very different stories.

    ReplyDelete