Friday, January 06, 2012

I Have a Cold



I was doing pretty good this year.  Only a few hefty sneezes over the past few months expelling the cold/flu germ. Ah yes, I WAS doing so well.

Last week I was visiting a friend who returned from his home in Altoona, PA.  He has many nieces and nephews.  They have children.  They have colds.  He gets a cold.  I got the cold.

I rarely get colds or the flu.  Last year was the first time I got a cold so bad that I had to go to the doctor.  I literally feared for my life. I couldn't breath.  As the days went by I wasn't getting better.  When I could no longer keep food down, I had Bill drag me to my doctor.  She said I came just in time because one of my lungs was filled up with fluid (why I was having trouble breathing) and the other lung was on it's way.  I had Walking pneumonia.  She prescribed an anti-biotic and with a few more day's bed rest I was on my way to recovery.

Where did I get that cold from?  A co-worker, who has children, who had colds.  When I was working with her she was sniffing and sneezing and wheezing.  After I returned from work she told me she had lost twenty pounds and also suffered from pneumonia.  Thanks kids!

I notice that I only get bad colds when I'm around people who are around kids.  Once I left my job at the bank and stopped traveling the commuter train to Philadelphia which was full of dads sneezing from their kid contacted colds, my cold catching day stopped.  They only picked up when I began working at a hotel (the Hampton Inn in Lionville, PA this time) and one of my co-workers had a little Princess who always seemed to have a cold which she passed on to her mom who passed it on to me.

Cold carriers and spreaders - the little Darlins!
(photo is of MY COUSINS so don't get your panties in a twist)


So here I am in Gayberry, Delaware sans children.  But ah, they got me anyway,  through my friend with the nieces and nephews in Altoona, PA.

If you're reading this my friend (he has given me STRICT instructions to NEVER print his name in my blog) from Altoona, I'm not blaming you but I hope you'll understand that the next time I visit it won't be right after you visit the nieces and nephews.  Nothing personal but I prefer to stay healthy.

This is no fun.

11 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Hmm? I look at that last picture and I think the guy on the bench isn't leaning over holding his head because he is sick. Obviously some bozo threw that beer lying under the bench, it struck him in the head and his head hurts.

    Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here. The children are the carriers. Ugh. But, as they say, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Well, they say that. I'm not so sure. Just getting over my cold...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lar,

    So you saw that little detail. You don't miss anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You feel like you head's as big as Humpty Dumpty? Sorry about that.
    Because I have kids, I've had every illness in the world. I'm hoping that they builds my resistance as I grow older. Only time will tell!
    Get some rest! Maybe Bill will nurse you back to health.
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find that I always catch a cold after visiting the hospital. My INR appointment is always scheduled early (7am) but my all day follow-ups every 90 days do not start to late morning and sure enough two days later. So we will see a week from today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Walt,

    You're right, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. I'm getting stronger every year! But right now I ache all over and I am so tired. It's a shame because today is so beautiful with mild temperatures and I would love to take a nice long walk but I'm too exhausted. An afternoon nap is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark,

    I thought of you with those kids when I got my cold. You're getting everything they got. And remember, they bring home all the germs the other kids at school got. You got my sympathy or empathy or whatever it is you call "I feel for you!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. 3rdnlong,

    Hospitals are the #1 place to pick up germs. I ought to know, I got a staph infection from a hospital that almost ended my life at 17. Imagine what kind of world we would have had if I wasn't around the last 50 some years.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No fun at all.
    We all have colds and sniffles here; inconvenient and detrimental to activities in general.

    ReplyDelete
  10. aah why do we get cold.i am the one who suffers from this at least 6 times in 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being airborne is one of the most dangerous aspect of colds. Contracting it is inevitable especially when you are around those who have the sickness. I would suggest that you take preventive measures and consult professionals to avoid having colds again in the future. I hope you got well really quick! :)

    Velvet Foronda @ US Health Works

    ReplyDelete