Sunday, January 22, 2012

Healthy Chicken Breasts

Trim fat from chicken breasts

Hi folks!  Something light this morning.  It's been awhile since I posted one of my tried and true recipes.  Here is one that I make all the time.  It is a very simple healthy recipe for cooking chicken but very tasty and elegant.

Melt 1/4 cup butter in shiny aluminum pan

This isn't my original recipe.  I discovered it many years ago (late Fifties) when my father was given a special diet by his doctor to help with his heart problems.  My father loved anything cooked in LOTS of grease, especially fried chicken.  This is a recipe for chicken (I use boneless chicken breasts) that isn't friend and doesn't use any grease.  However, it does use butter but only a minimal amount.

Place breasts in pan to cook slowly in melted butter


Here are the ingredients you need:

3 (or 4) boneless chicken breasts (or any other parts of the chicken you desire)
1/4 cup butter
1 sliced onion
salt and pepper to taste


Place one sliced onion on top of breasts



I told you it would be easy!


  • Here's what you do now.  Take a stainless steel aluminum pot (a shiny stainless steel pot seems to work best, don't ask me why it just does) and melt the 1/4 cup butter.  Be careful not to brown or burn the butter.
  • Next, place the chicken breasts in the pan.  


  • Salt and pepper the chicken breasts to your taste.
  • Place the sliced onions over top of the seasoned chicken breasts.
  • Cover the pan and cook on Low for approximately 30 to 45 minutes until the chicken begins to brown.  
  • When the bottom of the chicken has browned, turn over.  You may need to add a small amount of water to the pan to prevent burning.
  • Continue cooking until the chicken is a golden brown on both sides.

Cook breasts in butter with lid on until browned


Turn the fire off.

Turn breasts over to brown on both sides, adding water if necessary to prevent burning


Now you have a tender, tasty chicken that can be eaten as is or added to any other recipe. 

I usually eat one chicken breast with fresh al dente string beans and French Fries (yes Virginia, I eat French Fries - oven baked without the salt).  

I cool the rest of the chicken and make chicken salad with it to take to work at my nighttime hotel job.

This is ONE EASY TASTY RECIPE.  You can't miss!

Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. 3rdnlong6:45 PM

    made an enjoyable dinner so with leftovers for tomorrows lunch. I added garlic pieces as well !

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3rdnlong (I wish I could remember your name)

    I had this chicken again tonight along with other food. The chicken was the best. Tender, tasty and relatively fat free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 3rdnlong9:45 PM

    Roger :-). ..... Since my last valve replacement it is chicken chicken chicken 6 days a week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roger (thanks!),

    Cooking chicken this way was the doctor's recommendation for my father's diet when he had his heart operation. I know when I eat chicken this way I feel a lot better than when I eat fried chicken which I love but never do. This is absolutely the best way to cook chicken. No grease splattering throughout the kitchen, no indigestion and no coating your arteries with plaque. A win-win.

    ReplyDelete