Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ron's Tidbits of the Week

Bunny rabbit in Union Cemetery this afternoon - "I see you!"


I thought retirement was all about lolling about the house, watching TV, snacking, eating out and generally vegetating.  Ah yes, that may be retirement for some but not for Busy Ron.

One thing I used to kid my Mother about after she retired was that her life in retirement seemed to rotate around a series of doctor's appointments.  Well folks, be careful who you tease.  Now that I am in retirement my life is also rotating around a series of doctors' appointments.  This past Monday I had my annual eye exam.  I came through fine, just a minor adjustment on one eye.  As you can see I have an adorable eye doctor (just my type).  The only downside is that I see him once a year.  He said I have the beginnings of cataracts but I have "a long way to go."  That's good news!  So I asked him if I could take his picture for my iPhone.  He wasn't quite sure but I took it anyway before he had a chance to change his mind.

My cute eye doctor - I got lucky (for once)


Next month I have an appointment with a new dermatologist.  My regular dermatology visits are with the VAMC in Wilmington.  I go every six months.  My last one was in December.  I had several spots removed from my face.  My next appointment isn't until June.  In the meantime I have a wart (of all things) that popped up on my left forehead.  Thank goodness it didn't pop up on the end of my nose or else I could keep it and go out this Halloween as a witch.

As I reported before in this venue, I had another blood test last month.  That one showed my PSA count down to 5.1 from a high of 8.4 last June.  It's a good thing I didn't jump into the downward spiral of prostate cancer treatments because it looks like my PSA count is going down on its own.

And of course the last two Tuesdays in a row I had dental appointments.  Again as I reported in this venue those two visits set me back over $1,000.  Maybe I'll get some of that back from my dental insurance but probably not much.  They've been pretty tight about paying benefits.

In among all my medical appointments I have several social engagements that I've been putting off that I have to fulfill.  My neighbor Barbara wanted to take me out for my birthday at a place of my choice. We went out today for lunch (I don't drive at night).  I chose wrong again.  I chose the new Italian restaurant in Lewes called Annabella's.  It was a disaster.  Hey, it's not hard to chose bad restaurants in this area.  The hard thing is to chose a good restaurant that isn't an overpriced tourist trap or one that doesn't cost $100.00 for two for lunch.

The restaurant I chose for my birthday lunch today = BIG MISTAKE - Barb was smiling when she went in but now when she came out

Barb had a meatball and spaghetti.  Yes, A MEATBALL.  She ordered "meatballs and spaghetti" so what does she get?  ONE BIG MEATBALL.  She said there was no taste to it.  She said it was like the cook just made a big meatball out of ground beef without any seasonings.  Nothing subtle here.

"My God!  I actually ate that meatball!"


I got Eggplant Parmesan.  And as usual when I order Eggplant Parmesan at anyplace except the Rehoboth Diner, it was a greasy mess.  I'm still digesting it.  The gift that keeps on giving.

Yes, I ate the grease soaked Eggplant Parmesan - I didn't touch the canned Chef Boyardee spaghetti - took that home for Bill


I used to write restaurant reviews but I don't anymore.  The way I figure it these people are in business and I don't want to make their work any harder of them. The economy is too rough on everyone as it is.  Let the word of mouth get around about the sub par meals that are served around here.  I hear a Panera Restaurant is coming to our area.  Can't be soon enough!  I just hope they don't succumb to the Feed the Tourist Reheated Frozen Food (a la Sysco) and Overcharge Them For It trap.  I've eaten at a Panera restaurant in Greenville, South Carolina where my brother lives and it is great!  No waiters to tip, no screaming kids,  no tourists.  Oh wait, ah yes.  I am in Tourist Land here.  Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

I just got back from my daily walk.  Hey guys, want to lose that stomach?  Tired of looking like you're six months pregnant?  Walk a mile briskly every day.  You may not get Ryan Gosling abs but you will lose that belly and you can tuck your shirt in again.  Just saying.  You know who you are.


The weather today was fabulous!  The temperature reached up to 61 degrees.  Bill and I went down to the Union Cemetery in Georgetown and I took another 743 photos of headstones.  Just a lovely, wonderful day to roam around a quiet cemetery.  We weren't alone.  Several couple walked through the cemetery on the pathway for their Afternoon Stroll.  Why not?  The Union Cemetery is located right in the heart of downtown Georgetown, with is the busy little county seat of Sussex County, Delaware.  The courthouse is there and all those law offices.  While taking photos of the graves I came across a little bunny sunning himself near a headstone.  He didn't move even though I was within two feet of him.  He too was enjoying the "balmy" breezes of the day.

The little bunny rabbit sunning himself on Short's grave this afternoon

10 comments:

  1. Mmm, eggplant parm. I've made your recipe several times, but not in a while. I need to make it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One is allowed to eat greasy food on one's birthday!! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Gay Groom. I love your title.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cubby,

    If you're ever in town let me take you to the Rehoboth Diner for Eggplant Parmesan. They make the best int he area. Nobody else comes close!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Panera sticks to a formula with no deviation. I just ate in one this afternoon in Tallahassee Florida that was just like the one at home. Now have you ever thought about being a shopper for restaurants. Get paid to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anne marie in philly6:56 PM

    OMG, I wanna do naughty things to/with your eye doctor! look at those eyes; they can see in to your very soul!

    how does the diner do chicken parm?

    and a BUNNEH! OMG, so cute; squeeee!

    did you two postpone your wedding?

    love you and bill!

    PS - I have dropped 30 pounds since June 2010. still on the fat side, but going down (mr. tyler).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roger (3rdnlong)

    I would love to be one of the Secret Shoppers if that was true. But that's a scam isn't it? Anything that requires me to put money out of my pocket first is a scam.
    I like hearing what you're saying about Panera. We have had other chain restaurants (Applebees and Ruby Tuesday) open in this area but they aren't as good as the ones I went to at my former home in Pennsylvania. I think the Tourist Trap syndrome infects these establishments once they hit this area. This is the first resort area I've been in where so many restaurants are uniformly mediocre or bad and grossly overpriced. Maybe it's the heavy gay population and they think we have the money (which I don't) and we won't notice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anne Marie,

    Please don't misunderstand me. I think volunteers are great. If that works for you and you have the time and the interest in what you're volunteering for, the volunteer service does a lot of good both for the volunteer and the place you're volunteering your work. Where I object is someone "volunteering" my services for me or suggesting somewhere to volunteer my services. Usually these people don't volunteer themselves but spend all their time traveling between their homes and eating out and not doing much else.

    Hey, that's great that you lost 30 pounds! I know it's not easy. I've gained about five to ten pounds and it's driving me crazy. I'm thinking about that strawberry shortcake with ice cream that I will have later on tonight. I think I gained the pounds by all those chocolate chip cookies I've been eating since Christmas. BJ's has the best chocolate chip cookies. I can prove it by my new spare tire!

    Yes, my eye doctor is dreamy. It's a shame I only see him once a year. Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last weekend in Flagstaff, we ate at an Italian restaurant. Normally I never repeat anything, always ordering something new and adverturesome. But not in Italian places. "You are going to order eggplant parm, aren't you?" Someone asks. Of course! The food of the gods, or at least the Roman gods.

    Your Birthday? WTH? you let that one slip by subtly. You need to broadcast it across the title - celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dr. Spo,

    You like Eggplant Parmesan too? Eggplant Parm is perhaps my all time favorite entree. However, it is so rare that it is prepared properly where I live now. We are so far behind.

    My birthday was November 9th. It just took this long for my neighbor Barb and I to coordinate our schedules to go to lunch. Her birthday was December 9th. I'm taking her to lunch next Monday. Better late than never! We're going to a new place called "The Kitchen". Another adventure. I hope I'm not disappointed again.

    ReplyDelete