Thursday, July 21, 2011

Home Sweet Home

That bright, white house - that's my home


This is my home folks, at the end of Whitehall Drive in Covington Chase, Milton, DE.  This is where I will spend the rest of my life.  At least this is where I PLAN to spend the rest of my life.

Yesterday I read a fellow blogger's posting in which he expressed concern with who would take care of him when he got old.  He is presently taking care of his father and his aunt.  I live with an 82 year old man, who thankfully is in good health although he is getting grumpier each year.  Assuming I outlive him, then what is to become of me?  Who will take care of me?

This is a concern that I have at my age.  Like my blogger friend said, he isn't concerned with being dead, but it is the process of dying that concerns him.  That is also my concern.  Perhaps my greatest fear is being dependent on someone for my day to day living.  My father's concern was that he didn't end up like his brother, wearing a diaper spending his days in a daybed in his living room looking out his picture window at the garden that he spent many happy summers toiling in.  Fortunately for my father he didn't die that way.  I can't say the same for my Mother.  The last three months of her life she was dependent on my brother and his wife and daughter for her daily care.  That is not how she wanted to die.  It isn't how I want to die either.

So where am I going with this?  I guess I'm just expressing my concern.  I really don't have an answer.  But these are the thoughts that swirl around in my head.  The way I really want to "go" is to kneel over one day while working in my backyard garden.  Just like that, gone.

In the meantime, I make everyday count.

10 comments:

  1. "In the meantime, I make every day count."

    In the end, that's all that any of us can do, my friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiger,
    And I do make every day count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your nephews might take care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In the meantime, I make everyday count"...and keep working in the garden (just in case).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your house and neighborhood is beautiful.
    All you can do is enjoy each day as it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the most important part already down by "making everyday count" Ron. Six years ago I was a healthy hard charging 48 year old with a lingering bad cold I thought. Woke up in the ER with CHF. As I have begun the journey into the sunset of my life alot younger then I expected I try not to think about it but focus on the day's simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will,I love working in my back yard as long as It's not too hot like it has been the past week. These days I stay hunkered down in my air conditioned castle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nadege,
    I treasure each day. I waited a long time to get where I am today. I take nothing for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 3rdnlong,
    I'm sorry that you are now faced with CHF. I'm lucky that I don't have to face something like that, at least now. I almost lost my life when I was only 17 years old when I developed a hospital staph infection from an unnecessary hernia operation. Every day of my life since then I've considered "gravy". Now that I am older (69) and see more and more of my friends and relatives pass on, I know my time is not that far down the road. I treasure every day. I take nothing for granted. I hope you have a long and happy life.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tai,
    I have four grand nephews. They are all brothers to each other. they are very young now but it ins possible one of them would cafe for their "Uncle Ronnie". You never know.

    ReplyDelete