Friday, July 08, 2011

Trapped at the Restaurant



For the second time this week I was trapped in a restaurant by a sudden thunderstorm.  What are the odds? We've had very little rain this spring and summer here in southern Delaware.  The fields of corn and soybean are burning up from the lack of rain.  Clouds of golden dust swirl up on unpaved roads as vehicles race to their destinations.  Route 1 is clogged with various modes of transportation as the hordes of tourists descend upon the sandy beaches of Rehoboth for relief by way of ocean breezes from the sweltering, energy sapping humid heat of these summer days.

Tuesday I joined friends for lunch at Stripper Bites in Lewes.  During our lunch the skies darkened and the heavens opened to a downpour of much needed rain on our sun baked soil.  So there we were; Jack and Judy and me and the other Judy.  Oh well, we had a chance to get better acquainted.  At least we got some rain and it was fun watching from our vantage point inside the diners on the patio make a hasty retreat from their cafe dining experience to the dry interior of the restaurant.  Actually, it was quite funny but then I enjoy watching things like that.

So tonight our Friday Night Dine Out Group meets at the Ocean Point Gill in Lewes.  As I arrived (I was the first), at 6:45 I noticed the skies darken.  Thunderstorm coming!  By the time the rest of the guys arrived the skies were almost black.  Someone brought up the subject of the giant sandstorm in Phoenix, Arizona earlier in the week.  I mentioned that one of my blogger friends was there and had taken pictures.  I brought the pictures up on my iPhone and passed it around for all to see.  All were predictably impressed.  Just as my iPhone was handed back to me, the heavens opened up and the downpour began.  The monsoons have arrived!  Well, at least it wasn't a giant sandstorm like they had in Phoenix.  But here it was, yet another downpour during my Dining Experience.  What are the odds?  No complaints from anyone at our table though.  We all know that we need the rain...bad.

During a momentary lull in the rain I made my getaway.  I had to get out of there before darkness.  I have a hard enough time as it is driving in the dark, but to drive in the dark with the rain and all those headlights coming at me....too much.

Actually, this was sort of fun tonight. There was a friendly camaraderie with my fellow diners as we were Trapped in the Restaurant.  Just another Day in the Life.

8 comments:

  1. I bet it was a lot of fun. How lucky to be retired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nadege,
    This retirement is the best time of my life. I've never enjoyed life more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kind of thunderstorms are the best. They aren't a nuisance like that off and on and off and on again rain. How nice to have no place to go and time to spend with friends.

    I agree about retirement. My mom and all her retired teacher friends are enjoying life to the fullest. They keep telling me how much fun it is. Too bad I have 30 years left until mine, cuz I want to start it now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    I see the waitress was trying to hide behind the check folder.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lar,

    I think she didn't want her picture taken because she a foreign national. We have a lot of them down here in the summertime working in the restaurants and hotels.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pumpkin Delight,
    I looked forward to retirement for many years. I can remember when I had 40 years to go to retirement (in 1965 my retirement date was 2006). I thought that was forever, in another century (which it was). Then before I knew it there I was! Let me tell you, it is every bit as wonderful as everyone is telling you. I love it! This is absolutely the best time in my life. And I've had some good times but the freedom that retirement gives me is far and way so much better than my working every week for the Man and looking forward to the weekends and maybe two weeks off a year. This is living.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Any thunderstorm I appreciate; no matter where!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love thunderstorms too Dr. Spo. It was unusual that I got trapped twice in one week. That will never happen again.

    ReplyDelete