Saturday, July 09, 2011

Rehoboth Beach Summer


I said I wouldn't go back into Rehoboth Beach on a summer weekend but I did just that this morning.  I had to stop by the Old Time Photo place and have a reprint made of the cowboy desperado picture of me and my friend Larry.  Tomorrow Larry and I are meeting our good friend from our school days from sixty years ago!  Our friend's name is Stuart and he lives in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.  Recently two of his very good friends died which caused him to reassess his mortality.  He called both me and Larry and wanted us to assure him that we wouldn't die on him anytime soon.  We assured him we plan to be around a long time.

Stuart's daughter heard about her dad's concern for us so she arrange a meeting with the three of us which will take place tomorrow in Broomall, Pennsylvania.  Stuart is staying there at his cousin's home.  Tomorrow we have our reunion.  I am looking forward to it very much.  Pictures will follow!

In the meantime, while I was at the beach this morning I thought since I put all that money into the parking meter I might as well make some good use of my time.  I took a stroll down the beach and took many pictures and several videos.  The videos will show the sights and sounds of the beach this summer.  The one thing the video misses is the smells of the beach which is the salt air, and the oily coconut smell of sun tan lotion.

I love summer at the beach!  I like hearing the waves roll onto the sand. I like hearing the seagulls screech for the fallen french fry.  I even like the sounds of the children screaming with delight and I don't mind hearing the occasional kid throwing a hissy fit for whatever reason.  It does my heart good to see all the families and friends enjoying this greatest of our national pastime, a day at the beach.

This is something the terrorists can never take away from us.  This is freedom.

Note:

No need to turn my music off when watching the video.  Any one of my musical selection is a perfect accompaniment for the beach video.

11 comments:

  1. Have fun tomorrow! I would love this kind of get-together.
    Let me know if you see John and Claire with my parents at the beach. They will be there all week.
    Your Friend, m.
    p.s. Were you wearing your speedo swim trunks? m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark! I got my camera today! A Canon Rebel. I have a new learning curve. I'll take the camera with me tomorrow and see what I can do with it.
    Hey, I might have seen John and Clare when I was walking the beach this afternoon. So many people on the beach! Speedo swim trunks? I don't even have swim trunks. I was in my usual outfit. The only one on the beach dressed so. A weirdo walking the beach taking pictures. I was half expecting one of the lifeguards to blow their whistle and confiscate my camera.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having grown up on the Great Lakes. saltwater seems odd. But I too love a beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Come on Ron! Move around to camera some hotties will ya LOL

    "Due to licensing restrictions, some or all
    tracks may be unavailable for playback
    in your country." means I can't listen to any song in your list LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tai,

    I saw a lot of hotties at the beach yesterday. Very distracting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Spo,

    I never go in the water, I just look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your short movies Ron, as well as the music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what's wrong with the water?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron,

    Thank you for the beach vignette. This year I will be unable to take my weeklong camping trip to the beach. I shall miss it tremendously.

    Will J

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will,

    I tried to give a flavor of the beach with this short video. I love the mixture of the sounds of the waves washing ashore mingled with the squeals of children having fun and the sea gulls squawking for that fallen French Fry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr. Spo,

    What's the matter with the water? See all those people on the beach? Do you think they ALL use the public bathrooms on the boardwalk? I didn't see any lines there. Methinks some relive themselves in the surf. Just guessing but I think I'm onto something here.

    ReplyDelete