Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New York City Trip Canceled

The view out of my bedroom window at 6:30 am this morning

This is the day I had planned to be in New York City.  The trip was cancelled.

If the trip had taken place, I would be on a bus with my friend Don at this time headed to New York City, instead of writing this blog about the trip that wasn't.

I had decided last week I didn't want to go on this trip.  Did I really want to go to a big city in the oppressive heat and humidity of mid-summer?  No, not really.  I'm having a hard enough time not getting soaked with sweat every time I go out to change the bird baths here.

Earlier this year I planned to get out more.  In May Bill and I took a week off and traveled through the south, visiting his hometown in Georgia and my brother in South Carolina.  On the way back home we drove up through the mountains of western North Carolina to visit my father's birthplace and my paternal ancestral roots.  I have yet to write any blog postings about that very interesting trip.  I took hundreds of pictures and many videos. Lots to share.

This spring I made trips to the Balitmore Aquarium, the Smithsonian Institute in Washington, D.C. and the Philadelphia Flower Show in Philadelphia.  I enjoyed all these trips but I think it's time to spend more time at home.

The picture at the top of this blog I took this morning out of my bedroom window.  I have a lovely backyard.  In fact I have a terrific backyard.

This is where I'm spending the rest of the year, right in my own backyard.

Me on my deck overlooking my backyard - where I plan to spend the rest of this summer!

8 comments:

  1. Hey Ron, I was straightening up the garage yesterday and came across a bat house I had bought but was unable to use because I didn't have the proper location.

    You need to put it about 25 feet up a tree or on a pole facing south. It's not very big and those suckers eat tons of bugs.

    If you're interested, I'll be glad to mail it to you.

    Sorry about the NYC trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean,

    Thanks for your offer of a bat house but I will have to decline. Where we lived in Pennsylvania in the middle of the woods we had a lot of bats. I got a bat house and guess what? Not one bat took up residence! Where I live now I have no trees other than those three river birches that I just transplanted to the island in my backyard. Also, I have a purple martin house in my back yard and swallows and they consume a LOT of my backyard insect population. Thanks for your offer, I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. look forward to the pictures and thoughts on your trip thru western north carolina when you are ready to share.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you have such a lovely spot, I don't blame you! There's no place like home, Auntie Em! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3rdnlong,
    I have LOADS of great pictures from our trip south in May and lots of adventures to write about. I'm looking forward to writing about it but I've been caught up in my every day living which I write about. I always have something going on and never lack for subject material to write about. Never. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. tiger,
    Yes, we do have a lovely place. I love it, love it, love it! Bill? Not so much but I think secretly he does, he just doesn't want to admit it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Spo,
    I am SO GLAD I didn't go! 

    ReplyDelete