Saturday, July 16, 2011

Still Here

Me on a "road trip" with my brother circa 1957

Not to worry folks about my recent absence.  I'm still here.  I'm rethinking the direction my future blog postings are going.  I'm rethinking why I write a blog.  I really have to take into consideration who is reading my blog postings.

I have learned that all those persons who read by blog are not those anonymous persons I have never met, nor will I likely every meet them.  Sure, I still have those readers.   But more and more of my blog readers are my neighbors, friends and relatives.  I have to take into consideration what blog subjects I write about.  I guess I can't really go into a lot of interesting detail about the personal aspects of my life.  I really don't want my next door neighbors knowing those facts.  It's not so much of a privacy issue as it is one of not embarrassing my neighbors the next time they see me.  I have the same situation with my friends and relatives.

So what do I write about?  If I'm reduced to writing a bland blog, then that's no fun for me or the reader.  So where is the middle ground?  That's where I am now.  I'm thinking this through.  Bear with me.

8 comments:

  1. I for one am reading your blog, albeit in chunks when I have the time!
    Not to be worrying about others; Blogs should be a place of expression. Perhaps you are just in a lull. I am intrigued to see where you go
    But going away is highly discouraged !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron, I think your personal aspects are one of the best things about your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blogging is a strange activity, no doubt. When we first write, we have no idea if anyone is reading. But once we know we have readers then it can start to influence what we write. But the worst thing is to change how and what we write because we start second guessing what our audience might or might not want.

    If we change our writing, we are changing the very thing that drew people to read our blogs in the first place.

    If people you know are reading, then it's up to them whether they carry on or not. You're not forcing them to - they have made the decision to read. And if they keep coming back to read, then they are interested in your style and content.

    Blog readers are pretty self selecting. Those who are uncomfortable with what or how you write, won't keep coming back - there are far more distractions on the Internet to occupy their time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Don. That's what I feel the most comfortable writing about. I may just stay with that and let the cards fall where they may. If someone is offended of feels they got their toes stepped on, then there are millions of other blogs that they can go to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Dr. Spo. I value your advice greatly. I think you're on to something when you say I'm in a lull. Methinks I am too. So much to do outside in this nice weather I put off sitting at my computer and posting a blog. Now that the heat and humidity is back, I'm back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kim,

    You are exactly right. You and Dr. Spo are my two blogger friends whose advice is always right on the mark. You are right, I shouldn't tailor my blog to fit other's perceptions and/or expectations of me. My partner is always on my case what is appropriate and not appropriate which creates tension in this household. He is worried "What will the neighbors think?" about certain blog subjects that I write. Of course I always use a certain amount of discretion but I think I can still stay true to myself and continue to write a blog that expresses my feelings, hopes, desires and remembrance of things past. Thank you (and Dr. Spo) for getting me back on track.
    This is why I blog, friends link you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael, Don and Kim are so right. I am so grateful for all "my favorite" bloggers and I know it is hard work. Summer should be spent outdoors or traveling. The thing is, you don't have to post everyday and don't apologize for it... It is YOUR blog you can write anything you want, and when you want but please, stay true to yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nadege. Your encouragement is most welcome.

    ReplyDelete