Monday, July 18, 2011

Man Boobs

Self-portrait this morning of my deteriorating body

Now that I have reinforced my policy of being unashamedly honest in my blog postings, I will now address one of the developments of my aging process.  

As regular readers of this blog know, I am 69 years old and frequently write about my view from this vantage point in my life.  Other than the expected aches and pains that come with getting older, I have no complaints about getting older.  A few months ago I read a friend's blog posting in which he expressed some concern over discovering his first wrinkle (yes, Mark, that's you I'm talking about).  I was amused over his concern.  Heck, I discovered my first wrinkles back in the 80's.  I wasn't bothered at all by that development.  I felt it gave my face more character.  Wrinkles never turned me off on anyone.

However, there is another development that I have recently discovered.  I think I'm getting man boobs!
Some years ago there was a very funny Seinfeld episode in which George's father had man boobs. I laughed along with everyone else who saw that Seinfeld episode.


Provincetown 1979 - before the Fall

All my adult life I've been proud that I've been able to maintain my weight at around 160 lbs.  I've always been lean.  However, I fear time and gravity has taken its toll.  I weigh the same but now I have the boobs that are turning floppy.  I have a spare tire.  I also have the makings of a pot belly.  The three parts of the man's body that is the first to go.  With women it is generally their thighs and butt. 

I guess I could up my exercise routine and do some kind of exercise to firm my boobs, waist and abdomen.  But then I think not.  I just get so tired anymore.  

However, I can take some comfort knowing I'm not alone.  Hey, checkout "AH-NOLD"!

Arnold Schwarzenegger - Before and After





18 comments:

  1. Isn't it why the first thing to go is our eyesight so we can't really see our first wrinkles? But then again, with age, comes wisdom. I sent you an email at your AOL address few days ago. Ron, you look much younger than your age. Don't worry, be happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nadege! You are a good friend. I always appreciate your kind and positive comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly noticed any difference. Of course, I was distracted by your tray ceiling. Peach, I think I'll paint the ceiling peach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Ron, did you know that you and Paul McCartney are the same age? Do you think he has man boobs?;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got them too. I wouldn't dare be seen outside (or inside for that matter) without a shirt on.
    I try to get over my physical appearance now at age 60 now but that thing called vanity always comes into the equation doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. seriously now! it is never too late to get into better shape - if you would like to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! The first thing I thought of when I read this title was that Seinfeld episode - the manssiere or bro? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff,

    I LOVE my tray ceiling. It also has recessed lights (rope lights) in it. I rarely use the lamps in my bedroom, I almost always use the tray ceiling lights. I was going to have a mural painted on my tray ceiling but decided that I like the plain white color the best. It is so soothing and relaxing. No distraction when I'm in my Lair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. domanidave,
    Yes, I did know that Paul McCartney and I are the same age. Actually, I think he's a year younger than me. Barbra Striesand, Anne-Margaret, Nick Nolte, Muhammed Ali and several other celebrities are my same age. I would like to think I'm holding up quite well compared to them, especially Keith Richard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stan,

    I understand completely! I'm afraid my beach slumming days are over. I just can't see myself going half naked on the beach. My once trim body is deserting me, in spite of my exercise. Gravity is winning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dr. Spo,
    I exercise regularly and walk a lot like I always have my whole life but the dynamics of my body have changed. Gravity is winning out. Plus, I just get tired sooner than I used to. Twenty years from now (that's how much older I am than you) tell me what you think (if I'm still around). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pumpkin Delight,

    The Seinfeld episode is the first thing I thought when I saw that I had "development." And I thought that episode was so funny. Now karma. It's like the old Pogo saying "We have met the enemy and he is us!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Tai,

    I'm no longer hot! Gravity is winning!

    ReplyDelete
  14. actually you look in great shape for your age and having a naturally lanky frame it has held up well. I hope to look that good in 16 years.

    ReplyDelete
  15. 3rdnlong,

    Thanks for the encouragement that I'm in "great" shape. I have my father's genes (and his mother's, she was also tall and lanky) to thank for my lanky frame. However, the pull of gravity is happening in my 70th year. I guess it is inevitable. I had a good run for which I am thankful. I hope you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ron,

    I don't know. A lot of guys our age would kill for your body. I can't tell how much "man boobing" you have because the camera is in front of them. And that isn't much of a paunch either.

    Now myself, I am getting pretty quivery in the chest and stomach area. I pretty much stick to always having a shirt on.

    of course at this age, who cares? Time to relax and enjoy the years left than fret over not having the perfect body.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lar,
    Thanks for the kind words. I'm not happy with the direction my body is going though. Everything is starting to sag and get soft. I still work out (and walk) like I used to but the body isn't responding the same way. But you're right, at our age who cares? I don't really care as much as I put on in my blog posting. Actually I thought it was a bit funny that I now am developing man boobs after getting such a kick out of that Seinfeld episode. Karma is a bitch!

    ReplyDelete