Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tomato Harvest

Ron and Bill's fresh tomatoes


The tomatoes are on!

Each year I buy a couple of six packs of tomatoes at my favorite local garden spot, Peppers in Milton.  I buy one six pack of small tomatoes and one six pack of regular size slicing tomatoes.

Then I plant the individual plants around my flower beds in my backyard.  I also have oregano, parsley, rosemary, sage, chives, dill, and fresh basil plants planted throughout my raised beds are the far end of our backyard and the flower beds next to the house.

This is the best time of the year, harvesting our own tomatoes and herbs.  I love it!  Nothing like your own herbs and veggies.  Bill loves the tomatoes.  He cuts them up in a bowl and puts a couple of dollops of mayonnaise and that is his lunch.  I use the tomatoes, basil, and oregano in my fresh pasta salad (which I'll post the recipe in a future post).

We couldn't grow tomatoes or many other vegetables at our home in Pennsylvania because of the deer.  We don't have that problem here.  So instead of growing salads for the local deer population we're growing the good stuff for ourselves.

Summertime, I love it!

13 comments:

  1. There's nothing better than fresh tomatoes from your back yard! Ours are coming along, but they're not ready for harvest yet. You'll know when they are!

    We also have herbs all over the place. One of my favorite summer salads is tomato/basil/mozzarella. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walt,
    I also have herbs in every nook and cranny in my backyard. I love herbs, even the ones I don't eat. The flowers may be small but the honey bees love them. Bill complains that I don't have enough big flowers in the raised beds. Our backyard is bordered with raised beds and most of the plants in those beds are herbs. I get a wonderful feeling of comfort every morning I walk the perimeter of our backyard and observe the many bees working those blossoms.
    I'll have to try your tomato/basil/mozzarella salad! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ron,

    One of my favorites is a tomato/basil/mozzarella salad with some balsamic swirled across the top. The first time i ever came across this dish was at a restaurant called, "Russell's" in Vail, Colorado. It is a seasonal item on the menu at Duffer's Pub and I get it when they have it.

    Things are kind of going from bad to worse in the job department., by the way.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  4. anne marie in philly6:25 PM

    the deer don't eat our tomatoes cause spouse sprays the hell outta them with "deer off" and puts plenty of chicken wire around the plants.

    so they eat the bird seed instead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anne Marie,
    The deer ate almost everything we planted in Pa. Everything!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather has been good for 'maters this year around here so we are awash in 'em. They are ahead of schedule in size due to the early hot days but nothing turning red yet.
    I can't wait for BLTs, Caprese Salad & Tomato Sandwiches(like we had as a kid in the South). I'll be canning a bunch, making Tomato Jam with some and using the ones that stay green in other stuff.
    I see alot of work coming my way in August.lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! I would make tomato soup with these :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. slugmama,
    Thanks for reminding me about Caprese salad. I've never had it but I've heard a lot of good comments about it. That will be one of my new recipes that I will try. The tomatoes are coming on fast and furious now. Tomato soup this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tai,

    I am making tomato soup. I have a wonderful recipe for a herb tomato soup. I can't wait to make it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am mad jealous!
    I know of a good pasta recipe called “too many tomatoes” spaghetti sauce, if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my recipe is very simple (about three or four tomatoes, one egg and some scallions) and it's good for the summer heat. However, sour tomatoes are better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tai,

    What are sour tomatoes? I don't know if I would like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dr. Spo,
    Yes, I am interested in your tomato recipe! My tomato harvest is coming on fast and furious now. Bill has tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm making all kinds of wonderful tomato dishes. I was going to freeze some of my tomatoes but fresh tomatoes are so good in recipes that I want to take advantage while I can. I keep thinking about the wonderful taste of that tomato soup that I made this morning. I puree everything, including the skins and seeds. Good fiber plus it adds to the taste. YUM!

    ReplyDelete