Friday, July 29, 2011

Herbed Tomato Soup Recipe

Angry Ron this morning - I'm going to take it out on these tomatoes

This morning I was finally going to succumb to my pent up rage and vent about the selfishness and stupidity of the Republicans in Washington holding this country hostage (refusing to authorize the debt limit increase) unless the Obama administration begins the process of cutting all the social safety net programs since the New Deal so the millionaire and billionaire owners of those Republicans can have even more tax cuts.  But no, I won't go there.  Ummm, I think I just did "go there."  Oh well.

Instead I will post something nice today that won't offend anyone, especially my Republican friends, the poor brainwashed, shortsighted souls.  I love them all the same.

I spent this morning making a fresh vegetable pasta salad and my first homemade herbed tomato soup recipe since we moved down here in 2006.  I'll be having some of that soup right after I post this blog.

So here is my recipe for a nice a spice herbed tomato soup:

Herbed Tomato Soup


  • In a large saucepan heat 1/4 cup butter till melted
  • Add 2 medium onions, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
  • Cook till tender but not brown
  • Peel, core and coarsely chop 6 medium garden ripe tomatoes (about 4 cups)
  • Add to saucepan
  • Stir in one 12 oz. can tomato paste
  • Add 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil (I go overboard and add A LOT)
  • Add 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (I go overboard again and add A LOT)
  • Add 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • Add 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Add a dash or two of red hot pepper if desired (I like my tomato soup just this side of HOT)
  • Stir in 4 cups chicken broth
  • Bring to boiling; reduce heat and cover
  • Simmer for 40 minutes
  • Remove from stove and cool
  • Place half at a time in a food blender
  • Cover and puree until smooth
  • Return to saucepan and heat
  • Enjoy!

I have a home for these tomatoes - my stomach!


Magnifico!

20 comments:

  1. This sounds really good but what is cutter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh! butter not cutter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you went there. I can't even watch the news anymore because I want to throw the remote at the tv every time they talk about it. And so many have been brainwashed by the bs. Arghh! Anyhow, wonderful soup. Tomato and fresh herbs...delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous kitchen Ron! I love tomato sauce, tomato soup, bruschetta...
    fresh, canned... I really like it when you post some of your favorite recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will be there around 5:30pm for dinner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soup looks and sounds yummy. I think I'll give it a try as soon as mine ripen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumpkin Delight,
    This soup really is delicious. This is the first time I made it with fresh thyme instead of dried thyme. What a delightful, gentle yet spicy taste. Next up is my cream of zucchini soup recipe. I don't make these soups often because they are a lot of trouble (and dirty pans and dishes) for a little bit of soup but today was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paradykes,
    What makes this soup so good is all the fresh ingredients - all from my backyard garden! No canned (or frozen) soup even comes close. I hope you try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Nadege. We have the same tastes in tomatoes! I too love fresh salsa, not the canned, soupy kind that passes for salsa in some restaurants. I also LOVE bruschetta!
    I was so tempted today to vent about what is going on in Washington today but I thought "Who wants to hear that?" I'll be posting some of other favorite recipes that I've collected over my lifetime. I think I have enough for a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3rdnlong,
    If only that could be so! I'm scheduled to go out to dinner with the guys tonight at 7 for our weekly Friday Night Dine Out Group but it is so hot and humid I don't know if I want to do that. I've been thinking about having more of this absolutely delicious homemade tomato soup. I've never tasted anything this good in a restaurant. The older I get the more I am convinced that the best food is made at home. Dining out isn't for the food but for the social aspect. At least for me that what it is turning out to be. I just can't get anything this good at restaurants down here in Slower Lower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sean,

    "Cutter" is a misspelling! Thanks for pointing that out to me. It is supposed to be "butter". I'll correct it now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sean,

    My iMac has an automatic spell corrector. I'll blame that function for my misspelling of butter. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I've been reading too many of Peter's (Tippin the Scales) Amsterdam recipes. There are numerous ingredients that I've never hear of are go by different names which is why my first thought was "what the heck is a cutter?"

    I did my shopping yesterday and will my my soup today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know what you mean Sean. I've read a lot of recipes that always seem to have that one ingredient that I've never heard of before. But "cutter" wasn't one of them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am mad-jealous!
    Home grown toms and homemade soup! Two of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dr. Spo,

    You asked what kind of tomatoes I had. I have big and small tomatoes. I made more homemade tomato soup today. I froze three containers. I'll enjoy that delicious fresh made tomato soup in the cold of winter! I also make homemade salsa. Very simple: core, skin and take the seeds out of the tomatoes and dice them small. Add minced red onion and just a touch of minced jalapeño pepper. No salt needed. Ah, the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried this recipe last night and it was a WINNER! OMG! So delicious...thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkey,

      This is my favorite tomato soup recipe. It is best made with fresh tomatoes. I'm ready for tomato season!

      Ron

      Delete
  18. hello Ron,

    That was my favorite soup recipe also. I love to eat it because its good for the skin..Please update me if you have new recipe on your blog.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mersea,

      I have to make this recipe again. I can taste it now.

      Ron

      Delete