|Angry Ron this morning - I'm going to take it out on these tomatoes|
This morning I was finally going to succumb to my pent up rage and vent about the selfishness and stupidity of the Republicans in Washington holding this country hostage (refusing to authorize the debt limit increase) unless the Obama administration begins the process of cutting all the social safety net programs since the New Deal so the millionaire and billionaire owners of those Republicans can have even more tax cuts. But no, I won't go there. Ummm, I think I just did "go there." Oh well.
Instead I will post something nice today that won't offend anyone, especially my Republican friends, the poor brainwashed, shortsighted souls. I love them all the same.
I spent this morning making a fresh vegetable pasta salad and my first homemade herbed tomato soup recipe since we moved down here in 2006. I'll be having some of that soup right after I post this blog.
So here is my recipe for a nice a spice herbed tomato soup:
- In a large saucepan heat 1/4 cup butter till melted
- Add 2 medium onions, sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- Cook till tender but not brown
- Peel, core and coarsely chop 6 medium garden ripe tomatoes (about 4 cups)
- Add to saucepan
- Stir in one 12 oz. can tomato paste
- Add 1 tablespoon snipped fresh basil (I go overboard and add A LOT)
- Add 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (I go overboard again and add A LOT)
- Add 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Add 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Add a dash or two of red hot pepper if desired (I like my tomato soup just this side of HOT)
- Stir in 4 cups chicken broth
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat and cover
- Simmer for 40 minutes
- Remove from stove and cool
- Place half at a time in a food blender
- Cover and puree until smooth
- Return to saucepan and heat
|I have a home for these tomatoes - my stomach!|