Thursday, July 07, 2011

Crepe Myrtle

Crepe Myrtle


One of my favorite plants is the crepe myrtle tree.  We couldn't have crepe myrtle trees in Pennsylvania because they couldn't survive the cold 10 degrees or lower winter.  Now that we live in southern Delaware, which is the next temperate zone, crepe myrtle trees and bushes abound.  Thus this was one of the first plants we put around the foundation of our newly built retirement home here on the eastern coastal shore of Delaware.

After planting it three  years ago, this year our crepe myrtle tree came into full bloom.  And this is our crepe myrtle in full bloom in Bill's favorite color - "PANK".

Bill can't pronounce pink.  He  pronounces the pink with a southern accent - "PANK."  Crepe myrtles remind him of his boyhood home in Georgia.   So we have a "PANK" tree.  It makes Bill happy and when Bill is happy I'm happy.

Have a great day!

9 comments:

  1. Well I for one love your 'pank' tree!
    It reminds me of the crepe myrtle trees of my childhood home in Norfolk, VA.
    And yes, to us southerners 'pank' is a word.lol

    I miss the stately magnolias from my youth too. Hubs bought me a hybrid magnolia that is hardy up here in Yankee land a couple of years back. It makes me smile every time I see it. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne marie in philly6:58 PM

    mine is not blooming yet.

    and if elvis could have a "pank cadillac", then bill can have a "pank tree".

    ReplyDelete
  3. slugmamma,

    You understand "pank"! I love the smell of a magnolia tree. Heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiger,

    Thanks! I think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob Chambers6:43 AM

    beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob,
    Bill loves his "pank" plants!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love them too. I gave one to my ex for his birthday just after we broke up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sean,

    Bill used to admire a flowering tree of one of our neighbors when we lived in Pennsylvania. He asked me several times what kind of plant/tree it was. I didn't know. Not until we moved to Delaware did I know that it was a Crepe Myrtle. Now that we're officially in the South (below the Mason-Dixon Line), we're allowed to grow crepe myrtles. We have several of them now but Bill prefers the "pank" (he's from Georgia) one.

    ReplyDelete