Wednesday, February 09, 2011

One Down and One to Go





One down and one to go!  So far so good!


I couldn't sleep last night knowing that I had to get up by 3 am this morning to place my order for two iPhones using Verizon.  I got up at 2:30 and placed myself in front of my iMac computer and began my journey through ordering the new Verizon iPhone.  


I logged into my Verizon account and checked the different plans.  I decided that the senior citizen plan was right for me and Bill since we're both Oldie Goldies.  


Three a.m arrives.  I log into the Verizon website and click on the big button for ordering the new iPhone.  


Nothing.  That's right, NOTHING.


Okay, they're probably very busy.  I wait awhile and log in again.  Still nothing.  I roam around their website, thinking I'm missing something.  


No, I wasn't missing anything.  I saw no where were I could order the phone.  I log out and log in again.  I think you know where this is going.  After about 45 minutes of this time wasting exercise, I told Bill (who gets up early anyway) that I was going back to sleep.  Comcast is scheduled to arrive later today (from 8 am to 10 am which it is now 8:28 am and where is Comcast?)


I go back to bed.  I can't sleep.  I get up again and sit myself down in front of my computer and try logging into Verizon again.  Same result.....NOTHING.


So I'm thinking "What did I get wrong here?  I log in to the Apple Store.  Viola!  I get someone on the first ring.  Her name is Holly.  She says I am her first customer.  She is friendly and helpful (as have all the Apple people been to me ever since I started to use Apple products - they know all about customer service).


I proceed with my order but hit a road block because she wants to know my Verizon "billing verification code" for account verification.  Excuse me?  I have no idea what that was.  I look through my password file.  I find that over the years I've had six total Verizon passwords for one reason or another.  I read then all to her.  None work.  Okay, back to Go.


I go back to bed but I can't sleep.  I go to my computer and call the Apple store again.  This time I get Matt.  I explain my situation to him.  He tells me "I can work around that."  THANK GOODNESS!


Matt tells me that I can also order the iPhone through the Apple store.  He said that obviously Verizon was overloaded with calls.  Why am I not surprised that Verizon didn't plan for that possibility?  Customer service, that's what it is all about.  Apple knows customer service.  Most other businesses try to get by on the cheap and have less staff and more automation so they can save money and give their executives even bigger bonuses.  But I digress.  I don't want to go there this morning


Matt complete my order.  My phones will be delivered to me on or about the 18th of this month.  


Matt was professional, friendly and I could understand him.  He was working out Oregan and he has been up since 2 a.m. this morning after a long shift yesterday.  He provided me with a lot of helpful information.  He explained everything to me in a clear and concise manner and left me smiling.  How refreshing it is to deal with a company that places value on customer service.


Now I await Comcast.  I hope I can continue my good customer service streak today. 


Stay tuned.


My Mona Lisa Smile

16 comments:

  1. "Do you smile to tempt a Lover, Mona Lisa?"
    You are so lucky that you weren't dealing with someone in India.
    Happy Waiting!
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mona Lisa smile makes me smile Ron :D
    I'm wondering whether there is international version over there. Mine is international so I can choose any telephone service I want. Are there only AT&T and Verizon support Apple devices?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to know about Apple. We have been on the fence for quite some time, and now I will have to factor the customer service angle into this as well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiger,
    Apple's customer service is the best! My only regret is that I didn't go with Mac's before now.

    By the way, I'm up and running with Comcast! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,

    I still don't know why you had to be up at 3:00 AM just to buy a couple phones. And then you have to wait until the 18th to get them?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lar,

    That's because there was a long line. It worked, that's all I'm concerned about. Now to go to work in a few minutes. I'm going to be tired tonight after having been up since 2:30 am and no nap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tai,

    Yes, AT&T and Verizon are now the only providers of Internet service for Apple's iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything went well this morning Mark, much to my surprise. Only a few speed bumps that were easily overcome. What's with India? I didn't get that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron,

    I think that he is referring to the fact that lot of corporations farm out their Customer Service to India. The workforce is well educated and will work for less. The fact that your Apple contact was in Oregon really was an exception. Another plus for Apple.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're right William. I don't know how I missed that connection, especially since I've talked to Indians so many times when I've called for customer support. I was indeed thankful I talked to someone whose every word I could understand and who wasn't reading from a script.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Let's see you do Edvard Munch next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing like working up an appetite for something. Enjoy the new phones when they come in Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got it Spo, "The Scream" So far so good though although I've fallen behind on my daily blog postings because of my Mac training.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got it Spo, "The Scream" So far so good though although I've fallen behind on my daily blog postings because of my Mac training.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've had many a frustrating calls with Verizon myself, when I had them for DSL. I've had okay luck with their wireless division. Hopefully you'll enjoy Comcast. (If they ever showed up.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rick,
    The Comcast guy came in (on time) and did his thing. I'm up and running and very happy! Minimal disruption which is the way I like it! No more frustration with Verizon's DSL line.

    ReplyDelete