Tuesday, February 08, 2011

The Big Switch to Comcast

Serious Ron dreading the Invasion 


Tomorrow is the BIG DAY.  I switch from my slow Verizon DSL Internet connection to Comcast Super Charge Internet connection.


I have dreaded this day.  Not because I don't want a higher Internet connection speed.  I do.  I need it especially now that I am using FaceTime.  Also, I am so tired of losing my Verizon connection.  I have lost count the number of time I've had to call Verizon because I had NO Internet connection.  Whenever Bill and I saw the Verizon people working on the switch box at the entrance to our lovely little development here, we could almost always count on a slower Internet connection or none.  Like I said, I've lost count.


So why am I dreading switching over to Comcast?  Because I know there will be some kind of glitch.  Some kind of torture that I will have to go through.  Oh I'll hear the "Well, that never happened before." from the person that Comcast sends out to switch me over. I just know, I KNOW, that there will be a problem like they never encountered before.  Oh yes, there will be a problem.  I have a brand new modem.  I have a brand new router.  Both of which I purchased yesterday at Staples.  I cleaned out my office.  The outlets are clear.  I'm ready.  Will there be a problem?  Yes.  There will be a problem.  Guaranteed.  I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.


When we moved in here four years ago the house was already wired up for Comcast.  I had no choice, they were the Only Game in Town and they knew it.  So I went with Comcast but I wasn't hooked up.  They billed me but I was getting any service.  I called them and told them I wasn't hooked up.  I actually had a service representative on the other end of the line ARGUING WITH ME  that their records indicated that I was receiving service.  I suggested that they come out to my house and check for themselves.  They send yet another sub-contractor out (don't you just love these companies trying to save every last penny by not hiring someone full time and paying them benefits?) who also didn't know what he was doing.  They check and sure enough, I wasn't getting service.  My neighbor was getting my service.  The lines were switched.  Then I heard "Well THAT never happened before."  Don't you just love it?


Then I had to go through the torture of convincing them to credit my bill for two month's worth of service that I DIDN'T receive.  Of course when their sub contractors came out it was raining every time so I had wet, dirty construction boots traipsing on my new wall to wall expensive beige Berber carpets.  


When Comcast finally got its act together I had fast reliable Internet service.  The only problem was the price.  It seemed like every other month they were raising their price.  Then came the coup de tat.  I changed my cable service to satellite TV (DirecTV) because I didn't like the clunky DVR service that Comcast was offering.  When I called Comcast to inform them to discontinue my cable service they immediately DOUBLED my Internet connection service from $30 a month to $60 a month.  Yes folks, DOUBLED my bill.  I asked them why and the guy on the other end of the line snottily said "You don't have our bundled package and that's our price."  Just a lovely, helpful attitude towards the customer who they are supposed to work for.  I can see why Comcast was able to buy NBC-Universal.  They do know how to make money, especially if they're the only game in town.


So for the past 3 1/2 years I've been struggling with Verizon and their shitty (sorry folks, no other term explains it) Internet connection service.  In Pennsylvania I had their FIOS service which was GREAT!  But no go down here.  I called them last year and asked when they though FIOS would be available in my lovely little development.  The answer I received was "About ten years."  Well folks, I'll probably be dead by then (pushing 80 big ones) so I resigned myself to their DSL service for which I now pay $37.99 a month.  Their prices are going up too.  


But now that my friend Don V. is showing me all the wonderful things my iMac can do, I need a faster Internet connection.  He has Comcast, which he says he has never had a problem with.  My friend Lar says the same thing.  I wish I could say the same but I have only Comcast horror stories.  


So I was up against a wall. This morning I gave in and called Comcast.  Of course I get someone on the phone who I can hardly understand.  Not only a poor phone connection but an accent which I couldn't place. The poor phone connection I attribute to Comcast because they want me to get their connection.  I didn't fall for it.  But I did ask to subscribe to their Internet service for $19.99 a month for the first six months (God knows what it will be after the first six months is up).  Once Comcast hooks me up to their Internet connection, I'll have a connection speed five times faster (up to 15 mps) than I do now (at up to 3 mps).  THAT I can live with, even if they do charge me more after the first six months which they will.  Guaranteed.  


So here I await.  I've cleaned out my office to make a lot of space for the INVASION tomorrow of the construction booted sub-contractor Comcast will send to my door in the rain.  Oh yes, rain is forecast tomorrow.  


Funny thing, Comcast now has commercial that tout their "great" customer service.  They even say that their employees carry booties with them when they enter a customer's house.  I used to have a plumber that did that and I was so impressed with his respect for not traipsing through my house with his "who knows where they have been?" boots.  How much to you want to bet that this Comcast person who arrives at my door tomorrow DOESN'T have booties?


Does it sound like I'm bitching a lot?  Well I am because this kind of stuff drives me crazy.  Maybe it's because I'm older now and I just can't take a lot of change.  I especially don't like people walking through my house with their dirty shoes/boots who don't know what they're doing which has been my experience most of the time I've had service people in my house since we moved here four years ago.  I just want everything to work with a minimum of disruption.


One good thing that is happening tomorrow, my friend and Mac mentor Don V. has asked to come over when the Comcast guy/gal arrives.  Don has offered to help if any problems arise (which I am sure they will, they always do).  Like I said, ONE GOOD THING IS HAPPENING TOMORROW.  A friend is coming over to help.  Thank you Don.  Now just to get through tomorrow.  


The way I hope I look tomorrow after Comcast

10 comments:

  1. We have DSL at work. For a time, when it rained a lot, the internet connection went down. Ugh.

    It's better, but don't think about getting too fast around here! At least at home my housemates have the faster service.

    I know the pain in the arse that service like this can be. Hope it goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beartoast,
    I'm hoping against hope here that everything runs smooth but it has NEVER happened before. I've had nothing but one big headache since I moved down here to a brand new house that was WIRED for Internet. I think what the problem is that they send out people who don't know what they're doing. You know, on the cheap. Maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow but I doubt it. Look for a BIG BLOG posting after my torture tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your smile makes all the difference.

    Meanwhile , here is a link for you -

    http://www.theonion.com/video/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt,14309/

    ReplyDelete
  4. We too do not have FIOS, so I use Comcast. Nothings 100% foolproof but my connection has been pretty good. Hope the best for you. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rick,
    The time now is 7:59 am. Comcast said they will be here between 8 and 10. I await. I am hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm smiling now Spo. I just completed my order for two iPhones (one for me and one for Bill) from the Apple store. Now I await Comcast. I hope I'm smiling after they leave. I've been up since 2:30 a.m. this morning. I have to work this evening at the hotel. It's going to be a long day (and night).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ten years for FIOS? That's a load of crap. My friends in Bradenton, FL have FIOS and they live in the middle of NOWHERE.

    You are smart to get away from DSL. I hope everything turns out well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cubby,

    I had FIOS when I lived in the middle of the woods in PA. That's why I don't understand why I can't get it here where I live in a new neighborhood.

    I'm off DSL now and staying off! I'm officially on Comcast now. I can tell the difference already. Everything turned out well. I got a break. Even the guy from Comcast knew what he was talking about and was very accommodating. Comcast must have changed their policy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron,

    We are here to help if you need us. You can call us, blog about us, follow us on Twitter @comcastcares and reach us Facebook. We are here to help! 

    Mark Casem
    Comcast Corp.
    National Customer Operations
    We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark of Comcast Cares,

    I'm here to say I had an excellent experience this morning with Comcast! Tim, the Comcast serviceperson arrived on time. He was courteous, professional.and knowledgeable. He connected me to Comcast in no time at all. He even went extra by running the cord through the back of my cabinet after I asked him.
    I will write about my excellent experience this morning with Comcast in my next blog posting.
    My friends were right when they said they had no trouble with Comcast I am now jointing their ranks as a satisfied customer. My bad experiences of a few years ago are history now.

    ReplyDelete