Saturday, February 05, 2011

Hotels Where I Have Worked

Pittsburgh Hilton Hotel, Pittsburgh, PA


As regular readers of this blog know, I work part-time at a hotel in Lewes, Delaware.  I have worked at this hotel since April of 2007.


After I got out of the Army in January of 1960, my first job was at the Pittsburgh Hilton Hotel, on the Golden Triangle, in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  I work as a night auditor at the Pittsburgh Hilton for three months.  I was paid $250.00 a month, payable on the 15th and 31st.  I worked in the basement of the hotel with five other auditors.  Our hours were from 11 pm until we were finished which was usually about 1 am in the morning.  I didn't make enough money at this job to support myself living in Pittsburgh even though I was only paying $8.00 a week rent on a one room efficiency on Roup Street in Shadyside, Pittsburgh.  I was also lonely for my hometown in the eastern part of the state in Downingtown.  I quit and took the bus back to my parents home outside Downingtown.


After a two year stint working as an accounts payable clerk at the Lipsett Steel Products Company in Coatesville, Pennsylvania, I got a job through the recommendation of my friend Ron Hampton at the Girard Bank in Philadelphia, PA.  For the next twenty-two years I worked at Girard Bank in center city Philadelphia.  I was now a banker.


Mellon Bank came along and purchased Girard Bank.  I was "right-sized" out of my job.  Fortunately for me I got another job at the Fidelity Bank right up Broad Street in Philadelphia.  I worked there for seven years and then I quit that job.  


Then began a series of jobs at Downingtown National Bank in my hometown of Downingtown.  I left Downingtown National Bank after four years and then worked for First Financial Bank also in Downingtown.  I also left that bank after about five years.  


In between jobs at Downingtown National Bank and First Financial Bank I got a part time job at the Hampton Inn in Lionville, PA.  I applied for the night auditor job but was told I also had to work the front desk.  At first I hesitated but I was assured it "wasn't too bad" because there wasn't that much business during the early morning hours.  They were wrong.  But all was not bad because I discovered that I liked working the front desk at a hotel.  It was fun meeting people.  I also enjoyed the challenge of customer service.  After all my years in the banking world in which I worked in the back office (trust operations) I had found my niche with customer service.  I loved it.


Me and my co-worker Bill Castaldi at the Hampton Inn 2000


I worked at the Hampton Inn for a little over four years.  I did so well in customer service that I received the President's Award (Hilton Hotel Corp. owned the Hampton Inn - I had come the complete cycle in my working world).  I won a trip to Disney World. "I'm going to Disney World!" just like the winners of the Super Bowl. 


Me, Mickey and my Aunt Mabel at Disney World April 2000


I left the Hampton Inn to work full time at the First Financial Bank.  Then came the time I decided to sell my house and move to Delaware.  I ran into a problem selling my house so I had to get a job to help pay the bills until I could sell my house.  I got a job at the Marriott Residence Inn.  I only had that job a month until I sold my house and I had to quit because I was moving to Delaware.


Me at my short-lived job at the Marriott Residence Inn 2006


Once I got to Delaware and settled down (about three months) I felt the "itch" to get back to that hotel front desk job.  I applied at every hotel I could down here in good old LSD.  Those hotels would include The Sands in Rehoboth, the Hampton Inn (which wouldn't even see me the three times I asked to see their manager), and the Sleep Inn (I was getting desperate).




Then I saw an ad in the Cape Gazette for a front desk job at the Inn at Canal Square in Lewes.  The Inn is an upscale boutique hotel of twenty-two rooms and two suites.  It was a much small hotel that I had ever worked at before.  At the Hampton Inn I was responsible for 96 rooms.  Now I would only be responsible for 22 rooms and 2 suites.  I could handle that.  Plus, I would be dealing with a different type of guest.  No more sports teams of destructive kids.  They were the worst.  Instead I would be dealing with a more refined and professional guest.  Yes, I could definitely deal with that.  


Me at my present job at the Inn at Canal Square in Lewes, DE


So that my friends this is where I now work.  And, I might add I work with a mighty find group of coworkers.  I also work near the water which is the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal. 


The Inn at Canal Square, Lewes, DE


I have come full cycle because when I worked at the Pittsburgh Hilton I worked at the Golden Triangle which is the central business district and the urban downtown center of Pittsburgh.  It is located at the confluence of the Allegheny River and the Monongahela River whose joining forms the Ohio River.  "The "triangle" is bounded by the two rivers.  The area features offices for major corporations such as PNC Bank, U.S. Steel, PPG, Bank of New York Mellon, Heinz, Federated Investors and Alcoa.  It is where the fortunes of such industrial barons as Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, Andrew Mellon and George Westinghouse were made.


The GoldenTriangle, Pittsburgh, PA



















6 comments:

  1. You looked so fine at work, Ron.
    I've worked in the recent job for 10 years and it's my only 2nd job since graduated in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tai,
    Thank you. One always looks fine when they are happy in their job. I hope you are happy in your job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tiger! I think so too. Actually, I think everyone's life is very interesting. Where they work, who they love, where they live. You don't see too much of that on the blogs though. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to write an entry "Hotels were I have frolicked"
    but don't tell my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a couple of "frolics" myself Spo. Never while on duty though. I'm looking forward to reading your entries.

    ReplyDelete