Friday, February 11, 2011

Hooked Up!

Comcast Service Man Installing High Speed Internet for me
I'm back!  The past few days have been crazy.


First things first, I am now hooked up to Comcast and it is great.  I noticed the difference in my bandwidth right away.  


I take back everything bad I sad about Comcast.  The service guy came right on time.  He was knowledgeable, polite an efficient.  Also cute (which doesn't hurt).  Straight guys like to be around pretty girls, gay guys like to be around cute guys even if they are straight.  I'm attracted to straight guys anyway.  


So, I get hooked up to a faster speed to the Internet and the first thing I do is start uploading my files to Carbonite.  Carbonite is an offsite (up in the clouds) location for my thousands of files (mostly photos, I have over 42,500 of the suckers).  


My new friend and mentor (who patience I fear I am about to wear out) suggested that I backup my files to an offsite location and I have to agree with him.  I have an external hard drive which has an automatic backup function but if a hurricane blew through here in the future, I would have to search through the debris of my house to find it.  I don't want to go there.  


My Friend Don observing the Comcast Serviceman install
As soon as I started the backup I noticed a problem.  I had 93.325 Gigabytes of files (305,365) files to upload. Yes Virginia, I have THAT many files. I am not ashamed to admit it.  I am a photo hog.  


But here was the problem.  It took a hold day to upload a 2.sometthing GB.  At this rate I will be uploading into the summer.  All the time while I'm uploading I can't turn the computer off.  Can you say SCREEN BURN?  Thank goodness my friend Don showed me a Mac trick to put a screen saver on my 27 inch screen TV.  


So what have I been doing the past two days? For one thing I got up at 2:30 am Wednesday morning to order two iPhones, one for me and one for Bill.  Of course I had problems because I couldn't get through to Verizon.  Try as I might, I just couldn't make a connection.  They were swamped.  I went back to bed at 4:30 am but couldn't sleep.  Then I went back on my computer and went into the Apple store.  Viola!  They were taking orders.  I placed our orders!


Then Don came over for more Mac computer instruction.  I forget the sequence of events because the last two days have run together so much.  I had to work Wednesday evening and last night.  Neither day did I have an opportunity to take my nap.  Big mistake!  I was like a zombie at work.  


Last night when I went to bed?  I woke up this morning in the same position I went to bed.  That's how you know you're tired.  THE SAME POSITION!  It's a wonder I didn't stop breathing.  


Well, I had to call Don over this morning to help me figure out how to backup all my Flip Video files to a DVD-R.  I found out those files were over 23 Gigabytes due for backup!  Oh no, I can copy those to a DVD.  So Don came over this morning and helped me get started  He is so patient.  I am so nervous that I'm going to wipe everything off of my computer when I started messing around with it like this.  


Don got me started and left after a couple of hours.  Of course wouldn't you know it I screwed something up and almost lost all my remaining Flip video files.  I did something with the Time Machine and was able to recover them (don't ask me what I did, I don't know) and I copied them to a DVD.  I thew everything else into the Mac Trash Bucket and emptied it.  I think along the way I did lose one video file but I'm not going to jump off a cliff over that minor loss.  


Tonight we're doing the Friday Night Dine Out.  My friend Bob C. should be over in about a half an hour.  Tomorrow night we doing "Dirty Blonde" which is a show in Rehoboth.  


I got get back on my nap schedule.  I'm starting to look like the haggard old man that I am.  Where are those pins to put behind my ears to draw up my sagging face?


P.S
Anybody notice that I took the music off?  Is that all right with everyone.  I've been told that the music interferes with the reading of my blog.  I'm happy to oblige.  

16 comments:

  1. I have a lifetime account at megaupload but I haven't upload any backup file on that. I only had to pay $200 once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an excellent price Tai. I will pay $56 a year for my backup service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:24 AM

    music..miss it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Mr. Comcast have a brother?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron,

    Your Post read like a tired guy wrote it. get some rest.

    That first backup must be your whole system. I'd just be concerned with my personal files, data and photos. Once the first backup is done, though, it should only backup changes and new things and should do it in the background fairly quickly.

    I'm glad everything is okay. When you dropped from sight after Wednesday afternoon I thought maybe something went wrong.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lar,

    You're right! I was TIRED when I wrote that post. However, I felt like I should write it, tired or not, just to keep up. I'll get some rest.

    Yes, I am backing up my whole system. It will take about a month. Then I should be set.

    I'm looking forward to getting back on track. Back to my afternoon naps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spo,

    I don't know if Mr. Comcast has a brother but I do know he has a wife. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone: the music is coming back. I don't feel like this is my blog with all this silence. The music is ME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought removing the music was a good idea, but only because I'm easily distracted -- it has nothing to do with being at odds with your taste in tunes. But, hey! All a blog reader has to do is flip the sound off while visiting. How difficult is that? As to the photos with the Comcast guy, what's with all that nasty (!) non-Mac hardware in the picture? Did he bring all that stuff with him?

    ReplyDelete
  10. And, since I know it is you and you are perfect the way you are, I also know where to look for the button to shut the music off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Will! Now if I could only get My Play List to feature my absolute favorite music by Maneesh De Moor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DomaniDave,
    I had to put the music back. It just doesn't seem like my blog without my music. My friend who was complaining about turning off the music was right clicking instead of left clicking. He knows how to do it now.
    Yes, how about all that non-Mac hardware in the picture with the Comcast Guy? I keep all my old stuff. Yes, I am a pack rat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always hear terrible things about Comcast, but I had them for years and never had a problem.

    Glad you're cooking with gas now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nathan,
    I had a good experience with Comcast this time. I have nothing bad to say about them now. I hope it stays that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous9:59 AM

    Hi Ron,

    I'm so glad you put the music back on. I listen to it when I'm working at my desk. We have the same taste in music.

    I see you haven't posted in a few days. I hope everything is ok.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, Comcast internet is WAAAAAY faster than Verizon's DSL. And your installation tech was hot!

    ReplyDelete