Saturday, February 12, 2011

Night Out With Friends

Ron, Bob, Don and Ted - Geezers Night Out

Tonight I did something that I don't think I ever did before in my life. I dined out with friends and then saw a show on the same night.  I troll through my memory banks but I don't think I ever did the two at the same time.  I've dined out with friends.  I've gone to a movie.  A movie doesn't count.  


"Dinner and a show" has a nice ring to it.  What really made tonight special was that I dined out with three gentlemen that I like a lot.  The three of us just seem to hit it off.  Maybe it's because we're all in the same age range. Bob is 67, I'm 69 and Don and Ted are both 70.  Four old geezers out for a night on the town.  


We dined at a new restaurant in downtown Rehoboth next to the theater where we were going to see "Dirty Blonde" (a retrospective of the life of Mae West) later in the evening.  The restaurant was called MIXX.  I have no idea what the name means but we were comfortable and well served.  I got the short ribs (fork tender) with asparagus.  The menu said horseradish (which I LOVE) but I couldn't detect any horseradish but I did savor a melody of other interesting flavors which I could not readily identify.  For dessert I had a gingerbread, apple compote with vanilla ice cream (which I am still digesting).  But for me the best part of the evening was spending time with my friends.  


To me this is what retirement is all about.  Quality time with friends and doing exactly what I want to do and not what I have to do to keep afloat. 


Freedom, I love it.  I hope I can live like this for another twenty years at least.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad we all had a good time hanging out with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's true Tai. Being with friends is one of my favorite pastimes. I'm a social person. I like good friends. I wish you could join us sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's hoping that you will have at least another twenty years of the good life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tiger. That is my fondest wish, to enjoy the good life in good health with my good friends for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Valentine's Day !
    OOXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Spo. My best to you also on this day of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did I ever ask you if you know my friends Scott Silber and Albert Drulis? They have a place in Rehoboth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. D@vid,

    I don't know your friends Scott Silber and Albert Drulis. Are they retired or do they just come to Rehoboth on the weekends and holidays?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're enjoying your "freedom". And never having done dinner and theater??? Are you sure you're gay?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rick,

    The running joke between me and my friends is how I missed getting my gay creds for the love of theater. I never got it the Broadway musical thing. In facts, musicals annoy me. I just went to this show on Saturday night because a good friend of mine was putting it on. I didn't want to offend him. I do like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford though so I'm not totally deficient on my gay credentials.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you - sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete