Monday, September 27, 2010

Don't Ask, Don't Tell


President Obama made a promise during the election that the ridiculous "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy would be discontinued.  Just recently he said, "It will happen this session of Congress."  Well, it isn't going to happen.  The repeal of the DADT bill isn't even going to come up for debate, much less be repealed.

When President Clinton was running for president he promised to lift the policy of banning gays from the military.  When he encountered opposition, he caved.  Thus resulting in the absurd "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy which has resulted in ruining thousands of careers of dedicated gay men and women who only want to serve their country.  When Clinton caved, that's when I stopped listening to him.  I never believed anything he said since.  I still don't to this day.

I believed Obama when he was running for president and said he represented "Change we can believe in." Well, I believed.  Now that Obama and the Democrats are in power, I see that they are doing the same thing Clinton and the Democrats did back fourteen years ago.  They took the gay and lesbian vote for granted.  They assume gays like me have no where else to go.  In a way they're right, I would never.....NEVER vote for any of the Republicans today as long as they remain in lockstep to destroy the Obama presidency. 

What I can do is not make any more contributions to the Democratic Party.  And, for the first time since1964, I will probably not vote.  Ironically I cast my first vote for Barry Goldwater.  Back then I was a Republican when a Republican had real values.  Ever since the Republican Convention in Houston where Pat Buchanan drummed out of the party gays like me, I left the Republican Party.  Those cheering white folk who approved of Buchanan's hate filled diatribe reminded me too much of the Good Germans who cheered and gave the Nazi salute to Hitler at the height of his power.

No, I'm not going to be the Charlie Brown to the Lucy Democratic Party anymore.  Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment