Friday, September 24, 2010

Getting Back on Track

Me sitting next to Mom's favorite chair at her home in Downingtown.  Pop made those chairs.

Just got back from my first walk in a week.

I walked in the development behind me.

It felt good.

Tomorrow I hope to take the six mile ride down to the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk early in the morning and renew my daily walk.  It's none too soon because already I can feel (and see) the "safety tube", i.e. spare tire,  reforming around my waist.

I still haven't sent out thank you notes to all those who attending my Mother's funeral.  I hope to complete that this weekend.  I have no other plans for this weekend and I want to stay inside out of this late summer blast of heat.

This morning I took a load of Mom's old LP records down to the Clear Space Thrift Store.  I hope they find a new, loving home.  I have a load of old LP records myself that I probably should also donate to the thrift store.  However, I'm still holding out for a slot on "The Hoarders" TV show.  I'll need those records if they do a show on me.

My refrigerator is empty.  I haven't had much appetite the past week.  Today I had chicken salad for lunch.  For dinner I had chicken salad.  It's my own recipe so it's good, but really?  Twice in one day is not a good sign.  I probably should make up a batch of Swiss Steak but I can't imagine chowing down on hunks of red meat right now.  Maybe a nice pasta salad.

I'm off work until next Wednesday.  Then I don't go to work again until next Saturday.  Actually a break in the days is good for me.  This past week I did three consecutive days.  That knocks me out.  My years are catching up with me.  In a little over a month I'll be 69 years old.  While that is cause for celebration in some quarters (the number that is), it is a sign that I am in serious Old Man territory.

Tonight I think I'll take a shower and watch one of my four Netflix movies that I have backed up.  I'm ready to be transported into someone else's world and their problems.  I've had enough this past week.

12 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Yes, it is serious old man territory. Remember the day after you have reached 69 you have entered into your 70th year.

    I am back walking regularly again and it feels good. Just discovered a long trail I wasn't aware of and it makes for nice hiking.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did my first morning walk on the boardwalk in Rehoboth in a week this morning. It felt real good. Last week, when I fell, I couldn't walk. I can't imagine my life if I wasn't able to walk. It is one of the things in life that brings me true happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been so wrapped up in my world lately that I haven't read your blog in about a week and a half. I just read about your mother. I wanted you to know that I was thinking about you and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sam. I'm doing alright. Moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stop with this "serious old man territory" BS, already! There was a guy in the restaurant today who, at age 58, was falling apart...and I heard about it for almost 10 minutes. You are NOT falling apart, and you take care of yourself.

    Talking yourself into senility won't work. There are some people (no names!) who will drag you out of that way of thinking. You did it for me, remember?

    As Cher says in Moonstruck, "Snap Out of It!!"

    just your friend
    W

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wayne,

    Good advice! Of course you remembered that Cher followed up her "Snap out of it!" comment with a slap. I'm ducking the next time I see you.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once upon a time in the west, I have loved this sound score and movie for over forty years. Cajun, good advice. I have had to "Snap out of it" many times in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike,
    Bill thanks you for the birthday card. You guys are so considerate. I wish we had you and Glenn for friends here.

    I never heard of "Once Upon a Time in the West" before. I just discovered it yesterday. I love it.

    Cajun (i.e., Wayne) always has good advice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ron, I have the DVD and as soon as I put it in to play Glenn says, not again, HA. Claudia Cardinale is so beautiful, and Henry Fonda is so evil.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that I can 'get in', I am coming into the middle of so much. I am sorry to hear about your sorrows; I wish I had been by sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spo,

    Thank you for your concern. You're very kind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Ron... I'm so sorry about your mom's passing. How fortunate you were to have her for so many years. I lost my mother when I was just 23 and she was 54. I remember feeling strangely set adrift. I'm pretty open about an afterlife. I've gone to see some pretty good mediums over the years that have told me things they had no way of knowing. So I'm hopeful. I'd especially like to see all the wonderful animals I've had in my life that have passed on. Yeah. I'm weird. Hugs to you and walking creates endorphins.

    ReplyDelete