Friday, September 10, 2010

Sunrise on the Beach

Me this morning on the boardwalk in Rehoboth beginning my four mile walk




These days I have a new routine. 


I arise out of my nighttime slumber at 4:30 a.m. in order to be at the boardwalk in Rehoboth for my morning walk before the sun rises.


I love it.  


Where has this been the four years since I retired to lower Delaware?  


Each morning is different.  I remember asking my friend Jack Dawson, who lives on the Delaware Bay in a magnificent house, if ever got tired of the view.  Sitting in his living room you feel like you're on an ocean liner.  All you see is water.  Jack's answer was short and succinct.  "Never!"  


He said:


"Ron, there is always something different going on in the bay.  There are the change of seasons.  Some mornings the water is choppy.  Other mornings it is as smooth as glass.  And, of course, the birds always provide a constant source of entertainment."


I was fortunate enough to stay at Jack's home while my house was being built in 2006.  Jack and his wife Judy (a former classmate) were in Florida for the winter at their condo.  Jack was right, the view of the water never gets old.  You never take it for granted.  There is "always something going on."


This fact is a discovery I made since I began making a daily trip early in the morning to walk on the boardwalk.  Not only is there the Atlantic Ocean, there are the people.  What a parade of people.  Of course I am now one of THEM.  But what the hey?  


There was something missing in my life since I moved to Delaware four years ago.  I thought it was the lack of friends.  Oh, I have a few but I thought I would be the toast of the town.  Alas, those days are long behind me as I've aged to my present age of 68 years.  Maybe it's a combination of my personality and age.  I don't know.  What I do know is that I now feel a fulfillment that I haven't felt in a long while.

9 comments:

  1. I like that new picture at the top. It almost looks like a painting. You "old day" pictures have you looking into the camera. Now it seems like you like to take a lot of pictures of yourself looking off into something. What are you looking for? Does it often seem to you that the more you learn, the more question you have?
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    After a comment from another person, I figured people saw enough of my face. However, I do like to personalize my blog as much as I can. That's why I include pictures that I take myself and of myself. I try to stay away from having one of those antiseptic blogs that are wordy but say nothing. Mine is very personal.

    You are very perceptive in noticing that I am looking for something. That "something" I've been looking for all my life. I briefly had it a few times but "something" slipped through my fingers. Maybe I'll have another chance, maybe not.

    You question "does it often seem to you that the more you learn, the more questions you have?" is on the mark. Yes, I do.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the beach at sunrise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    I really like the banner picture. Did you take this with a self-timer? If so it is amazing you could capture everything as it is with your shadow and all.

    Your skills with a camera keep getting better and better. You have such beautiful photos.

    lar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lar,

    Yes, I took the banner picture with a self timer. In fact, I took all the sunrise pictures with a self-timer. If I take the pictures holding the camera they come out blurry. So I put the camera on a fence post, the exposure on manual and the self-timer.

    You noticed my shadow in the picture. You're probably the only person who did. I made sure my shadow was in the picture.

    Thanks for the compliments about my picture taking skills. You're not so bad yourself you know.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to ask if you were setting the timer or grabbing strangers in the street to photograph your back, but I see you've answered that already :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ron,

    I think the photo is quite striking and dramatic. It gives a sense of melancholy on one hand and a sense of expectation on the other. It gives one the feeling of the shadow representing your soul, that it is stretching toward that horizon, reaching for it as the person stands there seeking it. Your shadow adds to the emotion of the scene; however there is something I'm curious about with that long shadow on the sand before you.

    Were there lamp posts behind you?

    You are looking out toward the sunrise over the ocean. You are facing the beginning light of day. Logically, your shadow should be behind you, so there must have been another source of light to create a long shadow of you and the dune fence before you.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim,

    Interestingly, last week a very nice lady saw me setting the timer and placing my camera on a fence. She offered to take my picture. I accepted her offer. She took two very good pictures. I told her I was going to post them on my blog and I could send her a link. I sent the link and I received an e-mail from her yesterday. It turns out she is a CNN correspondent who works out of Washington D.C. She specializes in political reporting. She said if I had any ideas for stories to let her know. Now what makes this story interesting is that I've seen her on TV. I thought her name sounded familiar. She complimented me on my blog. What a nice thing to happen for a chance encounter on the boardwalk.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lar,

    You're right, a source of light was behind me which made for some very interesting pictures. The light comes from the Henlopen Hotel.

    By the way, did I tell you that the nice lady who offered to take my picture last week is a CNN news correspondent? I received an e-mail from her. I thought her name sounded familiar. I've seen her on TV. How nice of her to offer to take my picture She did a good job too.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete