Sunday, September 26, 2010

Where Do We Go When We Die?

Seagull over the Coast Guard station Lewes, DE - Sept. 25, 2010


I don't know.


Lately, I've been thinking about the question of where do we go after we die.


This year, four people I knew quite well departed from this earth.


In January, Anne Marie, a former co-worker, died from breast cancer.  She was 54 years old.


In March, Bonnie, a former classmate and my first high school date, died her her sleep.  She was 68 years old.


Last month, Bill, another former classmate, died from prostate cancer.  He was 68 years old.


Last week my mother died from complications of old age.  She was 86 years old.  


I knew all of these people well enough to ask them "So what's it like on the Other Side?"  I've been asking but I haven't received an answer........yet.  


A few years ago another classmate of mine, Steve, knew he was dying.  I asked him how he was handling that knowledge.  He wasn't sad or upset .  Very matter of faculty he said "I've always wondered what it was like on the Other Side, now I'll find out."  I asked him to let me know when he got there.  He must still be on his Journey because I haven't heard anything from him.  


Here is what I think happens.......nothing.  I would like to believe that I will be reunited with my little Pomeranian dogs who I loved so much during their lifetime.  


I would like to think that I would be reunited with friends I've lost over the years.  


I would like to think that I would be reunited with family that has passed on.


I really would like to meet and find out about my ancestors, being the genealogy nut that I am.


But I have to be realistic.  What is probably going to happen is what happens when we go to sleep every night.....a blank void.


I know that my friends and family who follow a religion probably don't agree with me.  That's fine.  I don't judge them and they shouldn't judge me.  I mean no offense to anyone who follows a religion but to me religion is all about obedience.  You obey and "praise the Lord" (I never understood the need for all the praise by the way) and you'll get into Heaven.  


If that is what works for you, then I'm happy for you.  Like I said, I don't judge.  But to me, and I'm not a lost soul, that just doesn't make sense.  If anything I think our soul at death is dispersed into an infinitesimal amount of atoms, only to be reassembled at a later date in a different life form to go through this thing called Life again.  Maybe I'm a Buddhist  at heart.  


So to all those who think they know what happens after we die, where is your proof?  Until someone contacts me from the Other Side, I'm going with reincarnation.  Maybe I'll come back as a seagull.  Maybe that was Steve in the sky yesterday at the Coast Guard station trying to contact me by flying above me.  Steve?  Steve?  Is that you?

7 comments:

  1. Love the new picture you have as a header! I already answered the question on your FB, so I won't be redundant.

    Have a great week - I know the last few months of worry about your mom has depleted you, but she'd want you to stay strong and get back out and on with your happy life. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Consciousness is caused by brain activity. No brain activity, no consciousness.

    I don't expect there to be anything when I die. In fact I think I'll be really surprised if there is.

    And, as I've said before, if it turns out there is a God, in a loosely traditional sense, the first thing I will do is kick him as hard as I can in his holy balls, because it's clear he's an utter bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim,

    I'm with you on this one. I too don't think there is anything once our brain activity stops.

    I had to be careful with my blog posting because I didn't want to offend any of my relatives or friends who sincerely believe in their religion. But I just don't buy all that Man With a White Beard in White Robes Sitting on a Golden Throne in the Clouds." Just doesn't make any sense to me. And all this "Accept Jesus and ye (why old Elizabethean English is so important is beyond me when talking "holy") and ye shall be saved. What is this life experience anyway? A big game? Just doesn't make sense to me.
    The only little unknown that I don't have an answer for is that spirit or soul that is within us. I have a feeling that goes somewhere Maybe not. No one has ever come back to tell us, that is one certainty.

    Your religious views, plus your excellent writing skills and your abundant talent is what drew me to your blog in the first place.

    Wouldn't it be a cruel joke if it turned out that you (or I) were actually God? Ever think about that?

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know me well Diane. Thank you for all your supportive comments. They are always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new header picture too Diane. I think I'll keep this one awhile. I've been changing a lot looking for "just the right one." You wouldn't believe it but just a few yards beyond that horizon of trees is the Atlantic Ocean. The picture makes it look like you're in someone's back yard. Not so, it's right before the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not quite sure how I did this, but I finally got through ! I will see if the matter stays fixed.
    You've been a hard man to get into, as it were.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spo,

    You're not only a talented writer, and cute (really cute) guy, you're also funny. A nice dry wit. More than anything I like a man (or even a woman) with a sense of humor. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete