Monday, September 06, 2010

Memory DVD


My cousin Bill Tipton, my aunt Mabel Tipton, Mom and my aunt Peg (Bill's mother)

The past couple of days I've been running around trying to buy a Phillips DVD digital camera frame.  I'm planning a montage of pictures of my Mother for her funeral.

The Walmart in Rehoboth and Dover both display the Phillips digital camera frame that I want but they have none in stock.  Figures.

I wanted to do more for my Mother's funeral than just display a picture of her.  I will do that and I have just the perfect picture.  But I do like these Memory DVD's that I've seen at some funerals.  Since I have so many pictures of my Mother, what better time to display her life than when we pay our final respects to her?

Finally, I gave up and checked into my iMovie maker on my new Mac.  Guess what?  It does everything I want and more.  I can add as many pictures as I want and I add my own music.  The best part is that I don't have to pay an outrageous sum of money to have this DVD made.

I just saved myself $99 from buying the Philips digital frame.  The funeral home wanted $199.99 for their service to make one which could contain no more than 25 pictures.  I have way more than that.  Plus I choose my own music and I don't have to use the generic music and graphics that comes with the purchased service.  Sometimes things just work out right.

Mom is still under hospice care.  Even though she's under medication she has a difficult time sleeping at night.  John and Barb aren't getting much sleep.  Sometimes you wonder why some of us have to suffer like this at the end of our life.  The more I see my Mother suffer the more I'm convinced that will never happen to me.  Ironically, all her life she feared that at the end she would be a burden.  She is not a burden.

Remember the song "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother?"  Every time Mom apologizes to John for being a "burden", John tells her "You're not a burden Mom, your my Mom."  And she is, bless her dear sweet heart.

I'm going to finish this DVD tonight and send it off to John and Barb tomorrow.  I hope they show it to Mom.  I would like her to see just what a wonderful, full life she has had and how much she is loved.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:54 PM

    I'm sure it will be a wonderful, beautiful tribute. My dad has asked specifically not to have photos etc at his funeral and in attempting to understand and honor his wishes I realize that each day that I live I hope that who I am is a tribute to him and his life.

    Hang in there

    Julie A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie,

    A very nice sentiment. I feel the same way and I'm sure my brothers do too That the way we live is a tribute to my Mother and her life because it is.

    I finished the DVD and it is beautiful. I give a lot of credit to my iMac PC and IMovie. They made it easy and fun to use. Of course there were times while I was producing it I became emotional. But I do have a permanent memory of her now that I can share with family members and friends and all those who loved her.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete