Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mom - Betty Louise Hadfield Tipton

My beautiful Mom with my Dad - 1958


Even though I knew my Mom was dying it is still a shock to the system.  As much as one prepares for something like this, it still isn't enough.  This is my Mother.  The one person in the world who is responsible for the person that I am today.  She has always been my rock.  She has always been my best friend.  All my life she has always helped me.  Always.


Now she is gone.  I'm still not sure how I feel.  I'm mostly holding it together.  I've lost "it" a few time and, undoubtedly will lose it a few more time in the coming days.


For the first time in my life I feel totally alone.  Mom is always....ALWAYS someone I could go to.  The last year or so we gradually grew apart as she slipped into early dementia. But she still had her good moments.


I am so thankful that I visited her this past June.  I suspected that it would be the last time I would see her.  However, I didn't think she would be gone this soon.  One is never ready for something like this.

Mom and me at John's home in Greenville, SC in June 2010


This is the e-mail I received from my sister-in-law Barbara today:


"After about 3 weeks on hospice care, Mom passed away here in our Greenville home at 12:30 pm today.  She was unresponsive, out of pain, and comfortable for many days now.  At 12:30 pm today (Thursday) she simply took her last berath and is now at peace.  Mom did make pofession of faith, and we are trusting that she is now with the Lord"


Services will be held for Mom on Monday, 2 pm at the:


James J. Terry Funeral Home
736 East Lancaster Avenue
Downingtown, PA 19335


The viewing will take place at 2 pm


My brother John Tipton will conduct services at 3 pm at the funeral home


After the services Mom will be transported to the Hopewell Methodist Church on Hopewell Road in East Brandywine Township to her final resting place.  She will be with Pop again.

Mom with her cousin Sandy Hadfield Hart and niece Elaine Reynolds Tyson 2005

I am leaving for Downingtown tomorrow and will not be back at my computer until next week.

I leave with this thought about my mother who spent her whole life caring for her family:

"Peaceful by thy rest, dear mother, it is sweet to breathe thy name, as in life we loved you dearly.  So in death we do the same."
Mom displaying her new hairdo - 2005 


13 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. There are no other words. All words seem trite in this situation.

    If you need anything, even if only to talk, you know where to find me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was a lovely woman. And I'm happy for her that she is no longer suffering.
    On the other hand, I feel great sadness for you and your Family.
    Take care, my Friend.
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:37 PM

    Ron, I am so sorry for your loss, it is very hard to lose a mother.

    Love you,
    Jessie Tipton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, we will not be sad but be grateful and glad that you shared her with us. Our love to you, Mike Wilson and Glenn Miller

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Mark. She's not suffering anymore. We were fortunate to have her for as long as we did. Part of me is gone now. My life will be forever different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Mike and Glenn. She is at peace now. I take comfort in that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:08 PM

    Ron,

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel like I know your Mother thru your postings & pictures. Hang on tightly to your memories as they will carry you through this. My thoughts will be with you & your family as you celebrate her life.

    Be safe as you travel.

    Fran

    ReplyDelete
  8. Norman Tipton7:41 PM

    Bless you and your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We've been away since a week ago; this morning is the first time I've been on the computer and was sad to read the news.

    I'm glad she was in the best of care and that her life was long and she was loved - can't ask for more.

    The pictures are lovely and so was she! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very sorry for your loss, Ron. Your mother was a special gal. My wife sends her condolences as well.

    ReplyDelete