Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Halloween - 1979

Me -Halloween - 1980
Halloween is my all time favorite holiday. When I was young I could hardly wait for Halloween to arrive so I could dress up and go trick or treating. When I was young (the Fifties), trick or treating was a serious activity because we were so poor and I loved candy.  Halloween was an opportunity to clean up and get a LOT of candy for Ron.  There I go talking in the third person (feels good sometimes).

We lived in an apartment building on Washington Avenue in Downingtown, Pennsylvania which was/is a small town thirty-seven miles west of Philadelphia.  I went to the East Ward Elementary School which was also on Washington Avenue, three blocks away from where I lived.  Those three blocks from our second floor apartment building to the school was my trick or treat destination at Halloween.


Scarlett O'Hara
I bet you're wondering what costume I wore.  You are aren't you?  You say you're not?  Well, I'll tell you.  This is something I've never divulged to anyone before in my adult life but I'll do it now.  What the hell?  What do I have to lose now?  I dressed as Scarlett O'Hara in "Gone With The Wind!"  Yes folks, Butch Ron dressed in a big hoop skirt and sashayingdown Washington Avenue in drag!  Thank goodness I left that phase.  Not that there is anything wrong with drag queens but that wasn't Ron's future (there I go in the third person again.)

Me and my friend Bob dressed as monsters -  during out Philadelphia Gay Bar Tour - 1979

After I grew out of trick or treating, I didn't dress up for Halloween.  Many years went by until I got in "drag" again for Halloween.  The year was 1979.  I talked my good friend Bob into going out with me dressed as Frankenstein (he) and me as a vampire.  We planned to hit the gay bars that had Halloween parties.  We had a ball!  In fact we had such a good time that we went out two nights in a row.  The second night I went as The Wolfman.

"Frankie" feeling my ass
For the second might Bob and I attended a Halloween Party at the Gay Community Center in Philadelphia.  Funny thing happen to me.  I got drunk~!  I was pretty well out of it but I do remember one guy who approached me in my drunken state.  I had my mask on and was sweating profusely.  I guess he liked what he saw with my Wolfman raggedy pants with the rope belt because he asked me what I really looked like.  I took my Wolfman mask off.  He took on look and said "Put it back on."  WHAT? !  I half expected him to ask me to go home with him and do the nasty with my mask on.  He didn't.  I wouldn't have anyway.  Are you kidding?

Me and my friend Bob at the Philadelphia Gay Community Center - 1979 - look at those teeth!
From the Gay Community Center shindig Bob and I stumbled down Broad Street to make fools out of ourselves in several of the gay bars.  I don't remember much, just patches.  I did meet a couple of guys but nothing came of it.  Ron was smashed.

This is the guy who told me to put my Wolfman mask back on.  Note that there are two weird things about this photo.  There is an extra hand and I am in the photo TWICE!  My friend Bob took the picture and it was a double exposure.  Actually it turned out alright I think.

Bob and I continued on our Bar Tour and ended up at the Midway Bar on 13th Street.  By this time I was feeling NO PAIN and very VULNERABLE.  I think I made it home alone that night.  Not sure though, much of the night was a blur.

"Miss Piggy" hugs an unmasked Wolfman
One of the best pictures I have of my time in a gay bar, in fact the ONLY picture I have is the one below.  I'm not sure who took it.  The picture is a double exposure that shows me with a new "friend" and my friend Bob off to the right keeping an eye on me so I don't fall flat on my face.  I think that was the most drunk I've been in my life.  Actually, it wasn't that much fun being drunk.  I could never be an alcoholic, I like to know what I'm doing.  I don't mind a buzz but not falling down, toilet bowl barfing drunk.

An "accidental" collage of me (bottom left), Miss Piggy and friend (middle) and my friend Bob (on the right)
The next year, 1980, I also dressed up for Halloween and did the Gay Bar Tour thing again.  This time I was smart and didn't get drunk and thus enjoyed myself so much more.  There was one problem though, I dressed as an Arab sheik.  I had a problem, this was the year of the gas shortages.  When I walked into the first bar I was the target of not a little hostility of several bar patrons.  I realized that I had chosen an inappropriate costume.  I asked the bartender if he had a bag.  He did.  I took my costume off and continued my bar tour dressed in my regular 40 year old gay man attire.  That worked.

Me in work drag (my bank job) - celebrating the Philadelphia Phillies 1980 World Series win



10 comments:

  1. why miss scarlett, I do declare! how you do go on! (said in a southern accent) hee hee!

    the douche that told you to put your mask back on - uh, HE needs a mask! NOT woofy, but dorky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I was a bit taken aback when that guy told me to put my mask back on. I'm not sure if he was kidding.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. The photos are all great, but I especially like the Arab sheik. Halloween has always been my favorite time of year.
    I'm STILL tempted to dress up in a costume - - but I looked in the mirror and realized I no longer need a costume.
    I'm scary enough to go as I am......(*sigh*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,

      The Arab sheik costume was my favorite too. I rented that costume from the Philadelphia Costume Company for a few bucks. It was a shame I could only wear it for a few hours. I just got too many negative comments when I was in the bar. I felt it was dangerous to continue to wear it.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Mask or not, you're a cutey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cubby! I was surprised when my "friend" told me to put my wolf man mask back on though. I don't think he was kidding!

      Ron

      Delete
  4. But did you make the Scarlett O'H costume from draperies?...and did they go back up in the windows the next day?

    Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harper's Keeper,

      I made my Southern Belle ball gown from one of my Mother's old dresses. It was God awful but it did have a big hoop which is what I was into in my pre butch days. That's all that counted. So you remember the old Carol Burnett takeoff on Scarlett making a ball gown from her drapes? Wasn't that the funniest scene ever? I still smile when I think of it.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. This is one of my favorite aspects of Hallowe'en - dress up and fantasy! Hot puppies ! Jolly good fun !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I wish someone would invite me to their Halloween party so I would have an excuse to play dress up!

      Ron

      Delete