Thursday, October 04, 2012

Cleaning Up My E-mail account



Yesterday, during my memoir writing class, I discovered that my instructor also had an AOL e-mail account.  I asked her "How do you keep up with it?"  She said "I clean it out everyday."  I told her that like her, I've had my AOL e-mail account so long that over the years I've accumulated a lot of junk mail.  I do have spam filters but I still get way more junk e-mail than "real" e-mails.  When she told me that she kept current on her AOL e-mail account I felt guilty.  Time to clean out my AOL account!

So since yesterday I've been seated at my computer for hours, reviewing every one of my 1,789 backlogged e-mails.  About 20% of the e-mails are "legitimate".  I apologize to one and all who have sent me one of those legitimate e-mails that I have failed to respond to.  The other 80% e-mails are from companies that I've ordered products from like J. C. Penney and political donation requests.  Tip:  donate to one political campaign and you'll get on at least ten other mailing lists.  If you want to stop those e-mails you have to scroll all the way to the bottom and look for the very small print to unsubscribe (they don't make it easy).

I do have a tendency to accumulate things.  In my closet, in my drawers and in my e-mails.  I still have a room full of unpacked boxes in my basement media room from my move of six years ago from our home in Pennsylvania.  One of these days I'll attack that monster.

So it's time for me to get back to cleaning out the remaining 351 e-mails in my AOL account while listening to the MSNBC pundits commiserate over President Obama's dismal performance in the presidential debate last night.  Anything to take my mind off of that disaster.


6 comments:

  1. Many years ago I began creating specific email accounts for the different aspects of my life. I have different accounts for: friends and family, cruising, shopping and store related, the blog, you get the idea. It has really helped limit the damage spam, hackers, phishers, stalkers, ex bf's (joking) and robots could do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I have two other e-mail accounts (gmail and MSN.) I just recently started to use my gmail account for "important" messages. I am very selective who I give that e-mail address too. My AOL e-mail account, which I've had for many years will continue to be my main e-mail account. I will keep it cleaned up though....I hope.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. AHA! so that's why I never received a response from you! bad ron! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Yes, that is probably why you never received a response to your e-mail to me because I didn't read it! I've missed so many e-mail because I was so backed up. I still have 348 messages to review, dron from 1,748 yesterday. After I clean this up I hope to stay up to date on my e-mails.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Ah, now email I can work with. I get an email I can see from whom and on what immediately. I can respond directly or delete. I can write an email to a person or set up a group and send to several people on one. I'm not restricted to 140 spaces. I can quickly find any I want, not hundreds of tweets everyday in no organized manner.

    My newspaper comes electronically to my email,so I can read it right here on the computer. All these contracts and stuff these days on my parents I have to sign comes on my email these days and I return the signed copies back via email.

    I get almost no junk mail.

    Who needs Twitter?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      Twitter, like e-mails and blogs are used for different reasons by different people. I now see a use for Twitter for me because I like to respond immediately to current events. Twitter works for me. However, just because I found a good use for me, I don't presume to impose my needs on anyone else. As I say, "Whatever works for you."

      Ron

      Delete