Sunday, October 28, 2012

"Déjà Vu All Over Again"

Yep, that's me in the path of Hurricane Sandy.  I live in the middle of the Delmarva peninsula.


We're still here.  Our house is still intact.  Still have power.  So far anyway.  One can only hope.



I called into work a while ago.  My co-worker Robert told me that everything is cleared off of the first floor, including the lobby.  Deep cleaning time!  He's staying there overnight with his cat...on the second floor.  Our hotel is located right next to the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal and about a half a mile from Rehoboth Bay.  Hurricane Sandy is expected to make landfall tomorrow night just at high tide.  Lovely, just lovely.  I can see all those canal jelly fish floating around the hotel lobby now.

I was scheduled to work tomorrow evening but I decided not to go in, with not a "little help" from Bill.  Bill goes bonkers every time one of these "storms of the century" rolls around, which seems like every year.  Didn't we just go through this last year?  And the year before?

As a matter of fact I won my all expense paid, four day, trip for two to Disneyword in 1999 because I risked life and limb to go to my job at the Hampton Inn in Lionville PA.  I really did risk life and limb.  I tried several different routes to the Hampton Inn only to find five of them flooded.  Finally I wound my way up through a heavily wooded housing development to Rt. 113, past several downed power lines that were dancing sparks on the highway!  At one point I was even racing my car ahead of flood waters that I saw rapidly approaching the bypass I was trying to make an escape.  Thank goodness the Hampton Inn was on high ground.

As soon as I got to the hotel the power went out.  The hotel lobby was full of panicked travelers who detoured off of the Pennsylvania Turnpike.  My co-workers didn't know what to do when the power went out.  "How do we check in the guests?" Without hesitation I said "By paper.  Just write their name and credit card numbers on the form and we'll update it when the power comes back on." Now mind you, my co-workers were in their late teens and early twenties.  I was fifty-nine years old.  I remembered the old fashioned way to check in hotel guests.  We got everyone checked in and even had guests sleeping in the lobby because all the rooms were full.  No doubling up on the rooms either.

Imagine my surprise four months later when I received an award for "Best Guest Service Representative".  The president of the Hampton Inn called me personally to congratulate me.  I told him "I was only doing my job" which is what I thought I was doing.  Still, I was glad to win the award because I WAS GOING TO DISNEYWORLD for the first time in my life!

Me and "The Mouse" (Mickey is on the right)
I won't be going into work this time.  Robert is taking care of the guests (of which there are none in the hotel as I write this).  Hey, maybe the owner of the hotel will send Robert to Disneyworld for his over and above dedication to his job.  Thanks Robert!

6 comments:

  1. We lucked out here in Wilmington NC this time with only a day of rain 40+ mph gusts, but I've been through plenty of them before both in Florida & NC.

    I'm worried about you and Bill living so close to the coast with tidal surges and flooding especially with a full moon. I wish you had a generator since more than likely you will lose power. At least you don't have to navigate the flooded roads trying to get to work.

    You and Bill will be in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,

      We do have a generator. We also had one in PA. Our power went out last night for about two hours. Didn't have to turn the generator on. So far today we have power but Sandy isn't supposed to hit us with full force until later this afternoon. We're far enough away from the water that we don't have to worry about flooding but we do have a leak in the wall that is causing water in our electric box. Bill is working on it now. Thanks for your good wishes.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. We'll need it Dr. Spo! Oh for the calm skies of Arizona.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you are staying put. No need to play a hero in this kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No heroes here Nadege, we stay put during this kind of storm. Yet another "storm of the century" rolling through here.

      Delete