Saturday, October 13, 2012

A Mouse In The House



If it's fall it's time for "the mouse in the house."  Yep, one day last week Bill spotted one of the little, gray furry creatures scurrying along the shelf in our garage.  Here we go again.  Set a mouse trap or put out a Have a Heart trap?

I don't like to kill any living creature but I also don't want a mouse infestation in our garage or house.  If we had a cat we wouldn't have a mouse problem.
Alas, Bill doesn't like cats.  Of course the downside with cats is once they catch a mouse they like to play "cat and mouse" with the poor terrified creature.  Someone like Dick Cheney would love the torture of a captive creature but not me.  Then there is the unpleasant sight of walking out in the garage and seeing a squashed mouse in the mousetrap.  Sometimes the squashed mouse isn't even dead!

Bill and I usually trap the unwanted vermin with one of those have-a-heart traps and then release them out into the woods, far away from our abode.  Sometimes that doesn't work because the persistent rodents will find their way back to our warm environs.

Yesterday I bought on of those have-a-heart traps at the Ace Hardware in Milton.  We (Bill) put it out last night.  This morning, sure as the sun rises, there were TWO occupants of our new have-a-heart traps, sniffing around inside the metal enclosure amidst their very own mouse droppings.  Ugh.

Bill took the unwanted house guests out to the end of the lane behind our backyard where there is a clumps of trees on a former home site now long overgrown.

A lot of trouble wouldn't you say?  I would rather have one of those big orange cats to take care of this annual problem.

"Rusty" - my Mom's fearsome mouse (and chipmunk) collector

13 comments:

  1. We have cats, but we don't have mice.
    Now, that has nothing to do with the cats, it's just we don't have mice. i'm not sure our cats would know what to do with a mouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      Funny thing about having cats, mice never seem to be around. A friend of mine who lived in a single-wide once was infested with mice. I advised him to get a cat.....viola! No more mice. Now I don't know if the mice sent out The Word or the cat ate all the mice, but there were no more mice.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. My great grandmother used to talk to a kitchen mouse. I forget it's name but they visited every morning for almost two years.

    I prefer the have a heart traps for two reasons. First, I don't like poison because the can die anywhere and I don't want dead mice in the walls. Second, the spring traps have come too close to taking my own fingers and tended to be tripped more than they trapped.

    As for cats - I'm a dog person and cats have smellier pee and poop and if there is more then one, they can be very noisy and reproductive (I know there's a better word to use here but I can't think of it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I'm of two minds when it comes time for me to get a pet again. I love cats. I also like dogs. I know cats can smell up a place, especially a heavily carpeted home like we have. I do like Pomeranian dogs though. They're almost like a cat....almost.

      I would never set poison out for a critter. For the same reasons you stated. Plus it is a slow and painful death. I really don't like to cause that kind of pain to any living thing. However, mice pee too and do leave a definite smell that I an detect. Tis a conundrum.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. who is that handsome guy at the top?

    I'd go with the heart traps; for a cat to torture a mouse is not so good; and what if the cat gets sick from eating the mousie? you two did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      That handsome guy at the top of the blog IS ME! Or used to me me. :(

      I don't like to see a cat torture a mouse either. I've seen it and it isn't pretty. Bill and did the right thing by setting out a Have a Heart trap. We both feel good about disposing of our unwanted guest this way.


      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    I am the same way. When we lived at Ski Mountain I once chased a mouse through the apartment with a beer stein, cornered the vermin in the bedroom closet, scooped it up and carried it down the road and let it loose. I do the same with bugs and spiders.

    Of course, we don't really have too much trouble with any little pests these days, not in our place. A mouse would have no chance. Me-ow!

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,

      I'm like you, I hand carry spiders, crickets and other bugs out of the house. The only bugs I kill are mosquitoes and flys.
      You're right, a poor mouse wouldn't stand a chance at your place with all those cats. I think the word is out in your neighborhood to all the mice, STAY AWAY FROM THE MEREDITH RESIDENCE!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen any mice here in Texas, but when I lived in the Ozarks they'd occasionally come into the house in the autumn. I will GLADLY send you as many cats as you want. Bill will get used to them (or, more likely, he'll leave home....).

    When I lived in San Angelo, TX I had a muskrat in my garage, a snake in my kitchen, and buzzards in my front yard. Not all at the same time, thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I had a muskrat in my garage, a snake in my kitchen, an buzzards in my front yard." Sounds like a great title for a book or a movie Jon!

      Delete
  6. Mice are so cute. My cat brings them inside the house, then it turns into a game until at 2 am, I hear the sound of crushed bones. My cat also brings home baby birds, moths, grasshoppers... But as cute as mice are, they can create big problems. You are better off with a trap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,

      Mice are cute and I hate to harm them and I especially don't want to see a cat torture them for hours on end. A woman where I used to rent an apartment during my Provincetown vacations told me she woke up one morning with her cat in the bed. Her cat brought her a "present"....a headless bird. Nice.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Yes get a cat They eat but one in ten and leave the others on the mat.

    ReplyDelete