This was the week Bill and I were going to take our trip south to visit my ancestors' graves up there in the hillbilly mountains of western North Carolina. However we decided last Friday (we were to pick up the van rental from Enterprise on Saturday) not to go. We usually go in the spring, when the days are warmer and longer. I thought it would be a good idea to go this year for the fall color in those glorious mountains. But when we checked the weather (rain and showers) and knowing that the days would be shorter, we both decided to stay here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. Well, I'm here to tell you I'm having a grand old time!
Even though I only work part-time (Monday and Tuesdays 3 to 11 pm) I'm still working. Two of my days are taken, thus interrupting the smooth flow of JUST DOING NOTHING ALL WEEK. And the past month or so I've had a series of doctors' appointments sprinkled in my weekdays also just to spice things up.
Don't get me wrong, I love my job at the hotel but it sure is nice to go a whole week without a guest asking me any or all of the following questions:
- "Where is the best place to eat?"-The Buttery
- "When is breakfast?" - 8 am to 10 am
- "Where do I park?" - outside where it says HOTEL PARKING
- "How much are your rooms?" - depends, what kind of room? They're all expensive
- "What are you rooms like?" - nice, what else do you expect me to say? Crappy?
- "Can I get an AAA and AARP discount at the same time?" - Uh....NO
- "How do I connect to the Internet?" - choose "Internet connection" duh
- "Can I have two more towels?" - gladly, I'll be up in a moment
- "I'm allergic to feather pillows, can I have a foam pillow?" - do you want the stained one?
- "Do you have a wine bottle opener?" - booze hound
- "Where is the ice machine?" - where it says "ICE MACHINE" to your right
- "How does the TV work?" - by remote control...hockey puck
- "Can I check in early?" - depends if previous occupant isn't checking out late
- "Can I check out late?" - usually asked by the same guest who asked to check in early
- "What time do you get off?" - 11, got something in mind?
No folks, I didn't miss THE QUESTIONS this week. Oh don't worry, Dependable Ron will be back at the front desk, sincere smile and all ready to field the SAME questions with aplomb.
So where was I going with this posting? Oh yes, talking about how much I'm enjoying my vacation this week. I - AM - HAVING - A - BALL! Yes folks, this is what freedom is all about.
Back to the grind next week. I wonder if anyone missed me?