Monday, October 15, 2012

Ever Have One Of These Days?



My artery busting bacon cheeseburger with fries at The Cake Bar Saturday night - something I was hoping to replicate today
Today is the first day of my fall vacation.  I had this great idea to invite my co-worker and friend Robert out for lunch.  We work different shifts and don't have time to spend together.  So I thought I had a good idea by inviting my friend out for lunch so we could discuss politics, work and whatever.

Ah ha.  You've heard of the saying "the best laid plans of mice and men....."  Well, just about everything went wrong.

I asked Robert to meet me in front of The Cake Bar in Lewes at 12:30 pm.  Since both of us work in Lewes and are frequently asked by hotel guests for good places to dine, I thought today was a good opportunity for us to check out this particular restaurant.  I always feel more comfortable recommending a restaurant if I have actually eaten there myself.

Robert meets me in front of The Cake Bar.  We both notice that The Cake Bar is closed. Oh, I forgot, most of the restaurants are closed on Monday in Lewes.  After all, where we live in Sussex County, Delaware isn't called "Slower Lower" for nothing.

We checked another restaurant. Yep, that one was closed too.  Uh huh.  I suggested a few more local restaurants but Robert wasn't too enthusiastic about them, especially one that was condemned a couple years ago because of RAT DROPPINGS.  Now THAT will kill anyone's appetite.

Hey Robert, how about us getting out of Lewes since it was basically closed down for Monday?  I suggested The Kitchen in Paynter's Mill which was about four miles away up Rt. 1.  I asked Robert if he had time.  He said he didn't have much time because he was studying for his finals (he goes to college).  But he said he had some time.  So off we go, Robert following me up Rt. 1.

I drive up Rt. 1 all the time.  I don't live too far away from Paynter's Mill. I don't think the drive is that long but today it seemed really long.  Here I am taking my friend away from his studies for lunch.  What I had originally intended for a casual lunch between friends is now turning into a PROJECT.  I was starting to feel guilty.

We arrive at The Kitchen restaurant at Paynter's Mill.  I didn't see any cars parked outside.  I didn't see any activity inside.  Uh huh, The Kitchen WAS CLOSED ON MONDAY.  Lower Slower, Slower Lower.

So now I'm starting to panic.  I'm wasting my friend's time.  But I don't want to give up yet.  I don't want to fail.  I didn't want to completely waste Robert's time.  All the while Robert is being very patient with me.

I now suggested driving into Milton. I was pretty sure there were a few restaurants opened on Monday in Milton.  I was HOPING there were a few restaurants opened in Milton.  I pull out of the parking lot of Paynter's Mill and onto Cave Neck Road headed for the quaint small (dead) town of Milton, Delaware....another FOUR MILES away.  Yes folks, this lunch date is turning into a MAJOR PROJECT.

Another long ride and we arrive in Milton.  I pull into the Goodfella's Restaurant parking lot.  There were no other cars in the parking lot.  Not a good sign.  With trepidation I approach the front door of Goodfella's.  YES!  It was open!

Downtown Milton, DE

Of course we were the only patrons.  Of course.  The hostess said he could sit "anywhere we wanted to sit."  Do you think?  NO ONE else was in the restaurant except the bartender, the waitress (who had no teeth by the way) and the cook.

We peruse the menu.  It was a standard Italian restaurant menu.  Appetizers, sandwiches (hoagies), and dinners.  I wasn't up for a dinner but I was up for some eggplant parmesan.  I ordered the eggplant parmesan hoagie.  I also ordered an unsweetened iced tea.  Robert ordered a hamburger with potato chips on the side.  Haute cuisine here folks.

My iced tea arrives.  I take a sip from my straw.  It tasted like iced watered down Dawn liquid detergent.  Oh no.  I hate to complain and send thing back in the restaurant but I really needed something to wash down my eggplant parmesan hoagie.  I told my waitress (who was very nice, that was a plus) that "something didn't taste right" with the ice tea and I would need something else to drink.  How about a Sprite?  I don't like to drink sodas because they don't quench my thirst but I had to flush away the taste of Dawn liquid from my mouth.



Our meal arrives.  Robert's hamburger is "so-so".  It looks "so-so".  My eggplant parmesan hoagie arrives.  It is delicious!  Yes folks, it was good!  Even the roll was good.  No giant hot dog roll masquerading as a hoagie roll. The eggplant parmesan was prepared as it should be; crisp on the outside and the soft, delicate taste of eggplant on the inside, all smothered with a taste tomato sauce.

Robert and I had a good conversation, away from the needs of the front desk at the hotel where we usually have our abbreviated conversations when I used to relive him from his shift.  We thoroughly dissected Obama's debate performance last week.  Did a little work related gossip (which I won't repeat here).  Yes, we had a good lunch, two hours later than our original time (12:30) we were to meet for lunch today.

We said our "goodbye's" in the still empty parking lot of Goodfella's Restaurant.  Robert was still smiling when he left but I don't think he will repeat this lunch date anytime soon.  And I can't say that I blame him.

Anyone for my next lunch date?

My longtime friend Ed and I at The Cake Bar Saturday night




11 comments:

  1. I love eating out - I wish I could do it often
    However, I am getting more snippy at what I can eat/should eat.
    Going to diners is a treat - I look forward to my once in a while cheat meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr.Spo,

      I love to eat out also. Unfortunately, Bill doesn't like to eat out. I am left with a choice to eat out alone which I don't like. I used to eat out with The Cajun but since he now works and lives in Rehoboth Beach, he doesn't want to eat out. I don't have any other friends who want to eat out. I eat alone.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. That was one helluva lunch and it may take some time for Robert to recover. Fortunately, the eggplant parmesan hoagie and the good conversation were worth the effort.
    I suppose sometimes it's better just to stay home and cook.....(especially on Mondays)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTeverlovinF? so if you're hungry, where are you supposed to go? guess ocean city MD; always something open down there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      A couple of restaurants were open, very expensive restaurants.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Any day but Monday! LOL
    Most places are closed here on Mondays as well. Since they're mostly family run, the folks need a day off after the weekend business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,

      You're absolutely right. I should have known that Mondays most restaurants were closed. The weekends are the busiest, especially where we live here which is a seaside resort dependent on tourist business.

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Sometimes lunch can be an ordeal. Oy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,

      I felt bad for Robert yesterday. I should have known that Mondays was a bad day for restaurant dining.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. That's why I am a Panera fan. I feel comfortable there eating alone with or without the IPad. Also I mystery shop which is an easy way to try new Restaurants and get paid for lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,

      I think I"ll lunch at Panera today! Thanks for the reminder. I should have done that yesterday. At least they're opened every day.

      I've often thought about being a mystery shopper. I always thought it was a scam. Don't you have to put money up front?

      Ron

      Delete