Saturday, October 06, 2012

Weekly Roundup



Yet another very interesting week!  First there was the absolutely dismal performance of President Obama at the first presidential debate.  There I was, ready with my iPad and Twitter account, ready to tweet my emotions out to the Internet.  And then the debate happen.  A manic Mitt Romney who quickly took over the debate, rolling over the moderator, Jim Lehrer.  And then there was our hero, President Obama who looked like he DIDN'T WANT TO BE THERE.  Hey, I'm no debater but I do know the rules of Debate 101, LOOK AT YOUR OPPONENT and LOOK AT THE CAMERA WHEN TALKING TO THE 66 MILLION PEOPLE WHO WERE WATCHING.

All was lost though.  On Friday the new jobs report came out and for the first time in President Obama's administration the unemployment rate fell below 8% to 7.8%.  I was watching "Morning Joe" and thoroughly enjoyed watching loud mouth, big head, resident conservative Joe Scarborough become unhinged when the news came through.  A few minutes later I saw the tweet from that old toad who used to run GE and own NBC, Jack Welch make a total fool out of himself by tweeting:

Jack Welch, for GE CEO and now a Crusty Old Toad

"Unbelievable jobs numbers, these Chicago guys will do anything, can't debate so change numbers"

Mr. Welch, crawl back under your rock. You just made a complete fool out of yourself.  Is it me or shouldn't someone of Mr. Welch's credentials be happy that our country's unemployment rate has fallen?  Or is Jack one of those whose priority is seeing President Obama fail?  Jack, with your tweet you just destroyed whatever creditability you had left.

This week is the vice presidential debate between Vice President Joe Biden and the marathon liar, Representative Paul Ryan.  I doubt if Old Joe will play Rope a Dope like President Obama did.

As you can tell, I LOVE politics.

On Wednesday I went to a memoir writing class at Delaware Tech.  Usually I don't get too much out of classes but this two hour class I learned a lot.  It was held by our local talent and national author and book publisher, Fay Jacobs.  You will see the results of this class in my future writings.

This was the first week in which I didn't have a doctor's appointment.  THAT was nice.  However, this won't last.  Next week I have an appointment with my cardiologist to go over my recent series of tests.  I also have another appointment with my dermatologist.  I'm still paying the price for all those years of sun worshiping.

I worked again only two nights at the hotel.  It is so refreshing to know the certainty of my work schedule.  I was busy but I didn't mind because I knew I was only working two nights and not on call for the rest of the week like I've been for the past year.

My big accomplishment of the week was cleaning up my e-mail accounts.  I had fallen so far behind in my AOL account, I had just given up.  I had a total of 1,789 messages that I didn't read.  Granted, many of them were ads from companies like J. C. Penney, political campaign contribution requests, and genealogy requests.  Buried among all those e-mails were "legitimate" e-mails.  I was embarrassed to find out that the friends who sent me those e-mails thought I had ignored them.  I apologized to them.  My e-mail accounts (I have three of them; also gmail and MSN but I don't use them as often).





Today I planted my fall bulbs and did a some yard cleanup. I am ready to hibernate in Casa Tipton-Kelly, secure from the biting cold winds of winter.



6 comments:

  1. One of my Midwest gardening pleasures was planting bulbs in the fall. It remains one of the most spiritual rituals I know. I miss doing so. There is no sense of dormancy and resurrection living in the desert with its perpetual warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I LOVE planting bulbs in the fall! Autumn wouldn't be the same unless I could plant bulbs for the spring. It is an annual ritual with me. I look each season but I also look forward to and enjoy the changes of season. Each season has its own special magic.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. hi ron. you know, i never know how other people do things, like emails. but it is absolutely amazing to me that you had that many unread! the way i am, i feel lazy if i have more than 25 emails TOTAL! every morning i check the unread ones and clear away! i realize that i am a freak in doing this, but it is how i am. ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,

      I was really embarrassed to be so far behind on my e-mails and was shamed into cleaning it up (which took two full days) by a casual remark to a friend. She also had an AOL account and I asked her how did she keep up with it. She told me "Oh, I keep it cleaned out every day." So embarrassed. My only excuse is that I was working so many hours at the hotel and I just got behind. There are just so many hours in the day and my blog comes first. I do keep that daily and have done so for years. Now I will keep my AOL e-mail account clean. It feels good!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. perhaps uncle joe should take lyin' ryan out back to the woodshed and teach him a lesson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I hope Joe gives Lying Ryan a good whoping.

      Ron

      Delete