Friday, October 12, 2012

Heart Tests Update



A very good day today!  Remember those heart tests I took a few weeks ago?  This morning I saw my cardiologist and went over the results.  The good news is that he found nothing seriously wrong with my heart.

He said that the extra beat was still there and on the lower ventricle of my heart it was pumping a bit slower but that was to be expected for a "man my age."  There goes that "man your age."  Well, I WILL BE 71 years old in a couple weeks.

He advised me that no other tests were necessary.  However, he did say that if I "wanted to know for sure" that I could have a heart catheterization.  Uh.....no thanks.  This procedure requires my doctor snaking an cord like instrument up through my groin to my heart to make sure all is clear and there is no blockage in my veins.  Uh.....no thanks.  Not unless I have chest pains, shortness of breath, etc.  No thanks.

I have a followup appointment in January.  We'll monitor this situation.  Just like I'm monitoring my PSA count.  All part of getting older folks.  Fun times.  But I'm still here and I'm making every day count.  In fact next week I'm on vacation!

14 comments:

  1. I like reading good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean,

      I'm making a real effort to keep my blog good news.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. WOO HOO! good news indeed! and yeah, if ya don't absolutely need a cath procedure, DON'T HAVE ONE! spouse can tell you how much fun they are (NOT!); he has had 2 of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      I try to keep the invasive medical procedures to a MINIMUM. Unless I really need a catheterization procedure I"m not getting it. Friends of mine have had them and you're right, they're not fun. So unless I REALLY need one, not.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm very happy Cubby. I tried not to think about the results but when I heard them I was relieved.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Good news indeed. I am really happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ken Eaton8:08 PM

    Dear Ron, I am so glad to read that your tests turned out well. I had the same tests but had different results. After seven bypasses and a replacement mitral valve all is good again. I was very lucky to have great and talented doctors and hospital staff. Life is still wonderful, and I fully expect it will be for a long time to come. All the best to you, I really enjoy your blog, Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken,

      Seven bypasses, oh my goodness. I don't know how I would feel if I had to deal with that alternative. So far I've been lucky. I'm glad your procedures went well and that you'll be around a long time to come.

      Thank you for your supportive comments Ken.

      Ron

      Delete
  6. That's great news, Ron! I think I just heard you breathe a big sigh of relief!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jon, I did breathe a BIG SIGH of relief.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. typical cardiologists ! They never know when to stop testing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,

      I decided to get off the test treadmill.

      Ron

      Delete