Monday, October 15, 2012

Pen Pal Letter - 1957

Me with "Gindy" the cat - 1957
Digging through my Letter Box yesterday I came across this pen pal letter that I sent in 1957.  Of course I don't have original copies of my hundreds of pen pals letters, they are probably long gone scattered as they are over the continental United States and a few in Germany and Japan.  The only reason I have this original copy of my letter was because it was returned because of an invalid address.

I don't know about you but I find this letter very interesting on several levels.  First was that I wrote it on PINK stationery!  Hey, I knew I was gay in 1957 when I was 16 years old.  Sixteen years old?  Was I ever that young?  Wow.

Secondly, note that I wrote in PURPLE ink.  What was THAT all about?  How GAY WAS I?

WHO IS THIS PERSON?
Reading the letter one wouldn't think I was gay.  I'm full of compliments for "Eleanor."  Hey, I was trying.

For those of you who can't read my backward slant handwriting of 55 years ago, here's a translation:

Miss Eleanor Gonzales
502 West Main
Ulvade, Texas

South Chestnut St.
Downingtown, Pa.
November 25, 1957

Dear Eleanor,

      Hi.  I don't know quite how to start of this letter.  I gues there is one thing I'd better say though, I would like to be pen pals with you.

     All of this I am doing now is completly (sic) against my rules of course.  I have enough pen pals to do me but when I saw your picture in "DIG" I thought maybe there was a slight chance.  To me, yu looked like the nicest girl on all the two pages of "Paper Mates."  Man!  I bet I really sound corny!

     The main things for you to remember about me is that I am 6'3", 160 lbs., brown hair & eyes and just turned 16.  I have a fairly good sense of humor.  I like "Rocknroll" like most teenagers.  I also like to ice skate, play baseball, and basketball.  I don't play football beings I'm in band (which I think is more fun)  I am sports editor of the Blue & Gold newspaper)  I have also been class president for the Freshman & Junior class (one I'm in now). Don't ask me what happened last year.  All I know is that I got beat!

     My religion is Protestant (Baptist).  I have two brothers Isaac 14 and John 13.

     Well, I know you have a lot of letters to read and write so I won't hold you any longer.

                                                                        In sincere friendship,

                                                                        Ronald Tipton
                                                                        (Ronnie)
P.S.
You promised to answer all letters but if you don't like me then by all means don't answer this letter. O.K.?







P.S.

I lied about being class president and ice skating and playing baseball and basketball.  I never ice skated in my life unless you can count that time I "skated" on my ankles the first and only time I ice skated.  However, I did play in band and was the sports editor of my high school newspaper.  To be quite frank I'm surprised that I felt the need to lie about being class president.  I tell it like it now baby, like it is.


9 comments:

  1. YOU? GAY? say it ain't so! that xmoose photo of you belongs in GLEE fer sure!

    smooches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,

      Are you sitting down? I'm gay!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. oh well, THAT makes all the difference then. never mind.

      Delete
  2. You make a fabulous Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:58 AM

    Randy in NEB: I love the old letters! something from times past. By the way love the photos of the XMAS tree, we had curtains like that when I was a kid. About 50+ yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,

      Oh those curtains, they were in style 50 years ago. I love old letters too. I was considering sharing some of my old letters. I think they're very interesting but I don't think most of my blog followers do. What do you think?

      Ron

      Delete
  4. I think the bow in your hair and garland boa is a very butch look.

    The letter is neat. Thanks for sharing. I love that you lied about things. How funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harper's Dad,

      I read that lie and couldn't believe that I said I was class president....TWiCE! I had the makings of a young Mitt Romney!

      Ron

      Delete